* [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06  4:55 cherry
From: cherry @ 2014-09-06  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello 9Fans,

I would like to share that mips64 support of Plan 9 is currently
available. The compiler and the libraries are at
https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/4c
And a 64-bit kernel for Loongson machine is built, at
https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/plan9-loongson64
The kernel seems to work fine, and so do programs like acme and page.

The userland support is in the compiler repo instead of along with the
kernel, as I hope it will be useful for not only Loongson but mips64
in general.

The kernel is not 9k kernel though. It is instead a (minimal)
modification from 32-bit Plan 9. The next step is probably to switch
to 9k kernel. For the userland, ape is not ported yet, so a few
programs don't build. Currently the kernel code is not so
user-friendly: to build the kernel, it needs to bind _port64/ before
/sys/src/9/port/, and in the 32-bit Loongson sources bind 2f/ to the
front to use 2F drivers. A kernel image is uploaded to the download
page of the repo.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks,
- cherry

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06  5:24 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2014-09-06  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Interesting. I did 4c last century (for the Inferno PS2 port). Must have
not made it into the distrib.

brucee
On 06/09/2014 2:57 PM, "cherry" <lunaria21@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello 9Fans,
>
> I would like to share that mips64 support of Plan 9 is currently
> available. The compiler and the libraries are at
> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/4c
> And a 64-bit kernel for Loongson machine is built, at
> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/plan9-loongson64
> The kernel seems to work fine, and so do programs like acme and page.
>
> The userland support is in the compiler repo instead of along with the
> kernel, as I hope it will be useful for not only Loongson but mips64
> in general.
>
> The kernel is not 9k kernel though. It is instead a (minimal)
> modification from 32-bit Plan 9. The next step is probably to switch
> to 9k kernel. For the userland, ape is not ported yet, so a few
> programs don't build. Currently the kernel code is not so
> user-friendly: to build the kernel, it needs to bind _port64/ before
> /sys/src/9/port/, and in the 32-bit Loongson sources bind 2f/ to the
> front to use 2F drivers. A kernel image is uploaded to the download
> page of the repo.
>
> Hope this is useful.
>
> Thanks,
> - cherry

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06  7:20   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-09-06  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Last millennia, don't you mean? ^.^

Sorry, couldn't resist. If I had known about Inferno when I still had my
PS2 Linux Kit working... =(

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting. I did 4c last century (for the Inferno PS2 port). Must have
> not made it into the distrib.
>
> brucee
> On 06/09/2014 2:57 PM, "cherry" <lunaria21@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello 9Fans,
>>
>> I would like to share that mips64 support of Plan 9 is currently
>> available. The compiler and the libraries are at
>> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/4c
>> And a 64-bit kernel for Loongson machine is built, at
>> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/plan9-loongson64
>> The kernel seems to work fine, and so do programs like acme and page.
>>
>> The userland support is in the compiler repo instead of along with the
>> kernel, as I hope it will be useful for not only Loongson but mips64
>> in general.
>>
>> The kernel is not 9k kernel though. It is instead a (minimal)
>> modification from 32-bit Plan 9. The next step is probably to switch
>> to 9k kernel. For the userland, ape is not ported yet, so a few
>> programs don't build. Currently the kernel code is not so
>> user-friendly: to build the kernel, it needs to bind _port64/ before
>> /sys/src/9/port/, and in the 32-bit Loongson sources bind 2f/ to the
>> front to use 2F drivers. A kernel image is uploaded to the download
>> page of the repo.
>>
>> Hope this is useful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - cherry

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06 10:12     ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2014-09-06 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I stand corrected.

brucee

On 6 September 2014 17:20, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last millennia, don't you mean? ^.^
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist. If I had known about Inferno when I still had my
> PS2 Linux Kit working... =(
>

> On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting. I did 4c last century (for the Inferno PS2 port). Must have
>> not made it into the distrib.
>>
>> brucee
>> On 06/09/2014 2:57 PM, "cherry" <lunaria21@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello 9Fans,
>>>
>>> I would like to share that mips64 support of Plan 9 is currently
>>> available. The compiler and the libraries are at
>>> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/4c
>>> And a 64-bit kernel for Loongson machine is built, at
>>> https://bitbucket.org/cherry9/plan9-loongson64
>>> The kernel seems to work fine, and so do programs like acme and page.
>>>
>>> The userland support is in the compiler repo instead of along with the
>>> kernel, as I hope it will be useful for not only Loongson but mips64
>>> in general.
>>>
>>> The kernel is not 9k kernel though. It is instead a (minimal)
>>> modification from 32-bit Plan 9. The next step is probably to switch
>>> to 9k kernel. For the userland, ape is not ported yet, so a few
>>> programs don't build. Currently the kernel code is not so
>>> user-friendly: to build the kernel, it needs to bind _port64/ before
>>> /sys/src/9/port/, and in the 32-bit Loongson sources bind 2f/ to the
>>> front to use 2F drivers. A kernel image is uploaded to the download
>>> page of the repo.
>>>
>>> Hope this is useful.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> - cherry

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06 15:07   ` cherry
From: cherry @ 2014-09-06 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting. I did 4c last century (for the Inferno PS2 port). Must have not
> made it into the distrib.

I only found one in contrib/tim
(http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/tim/4acl.tgz), from which
I started the work. It seems not the one you did? Thank you anyway.

- cherry

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-07  4:02       ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-09-07  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Damnit, I *am* a sucker... PS2 Linux kit - only AU$650, mint.

Lor', why me?

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Goddamn. You it on the *cartridge?!*
>
> You can tell I just dicked around with my PS2 Linux Kit, and now totally
> regret getting rid of it...
>

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I started with the linux kit and had Inferno working in two days.
>>
>> The linux kit is funny. Its is so slow and stupid. But handy for putting
>> an Inferno image on a cartridge.
>>
>> brucee
>>

>> On 7 September 2014 04:11, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Very true!

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-07  3:54     ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-09-07  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Goddamn. You it on the *cartridge?!*

You can tell I just dicked around with my PS2 Linux Kit, and now totally
regret getting rid of it...

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started with the linux kit and had Inferno working in two days.
>
> The linux kit is funny. Its is so slow and stupid. But handy for putting
> an Inferno image on a cartridge.
>
> brucee
>

> On 7 September 2014 04:11, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Very true!

>>> Then you would have a PS2 and still not have the Inferno port to run on
>>> it.
>>>
>>> sl

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06 23:55   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2014-09-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I started with the linux kit and had Inferno working in two days.

The linux kit is funny. Its is so slow and stupid. But handy for putting an
Inferno image on a cartridge.

brucee

On 7 September 2014 04:11, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very true!
>

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 3:49 AM, <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>
>> > If I had known about Inferno when I still had my
>> > PS2 Linux Kit working... =(
>>
>> Then you would have a PS2 and still not have the Inferno port to run on
>> it.
>>
>> sl

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06 18:11 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2014-09-06 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Very true!

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 3:49 AM, <sl@9front.org> wrote:

> > If I had known about Inferno when I still had my
> > PS2 Linux Kit working... =(
>
> Then you would have a PS2 and still not have the Inferno port to run on it.
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] MIPS64
@ 2014-09-06 17:49 sl
From: sl @ 2014-09-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)