On 22 January 2013 19:06, erik quanstrom wrote: > > I've seen similar things with my apple keyboard on plan9 with > > the pi (as well as the failure you noted earlier). the pi is *very* > > picky about power. > USB power management is pretty smart in its way, but can do odd things. And what different devices do seems to vary. I've tested a wireless dongle that works in a hub (no extra power) connected to the pi, but won't even detect when plugged in directly. sort of sad when the keyboard uses more power than the computer. > > Coming from the embedded side of things, it seems natural to me that the electromechanical bits tend to eat most of the power budget. I have several things where a burning indicator LED would more than double the overall power consumption. On the other hand, good old raw LCD's basically take nothing. You can run a pocket calculator on a thumbprint's worth of old solar panel in room light. I always found that kind of amazing. A desktop keyboard shouldn't be that demanding, though. Saving power just probably hasn't been a priority in the design. -- I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right thing with post formatting.