On 19 Nov 2014 23:54, "Tom Ivar Helbekkmo" wrote: > Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> writes: > > > After a bit less than a year, the SD card suffered a catastrophic > > failure. When I say catastrophic, I mean I can't find any meaningful > > data anywhere in the first 120MB or so of /dev/sdM0/data ... just > > not-quite-random looking garbage. > > Could have been just the normal "SD card used up" situation. They don't > last forever, and to get a reasonable life time you have to a) not buy > too cheap, and b) not write to it more than you have to. Under Unix, > point b means mounting with noatime and nodiratime options. > > Some specifics here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling Raspi in particular also seems to be very sensitive to power quality. Often the symptom of overloaded power supply is a crash and an unbootable SD card. Frequent backups of the card are probably a good idea in any case.