* [9fans] The correct way to do an incorrect thing
@ 2016-09-28 23:07 Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2016-09-28 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all!

As an awful person, I hacked rio's data.c to support backgrounds. Because
the default code took a 1-by-1 pixel grey image and tiled it, I just shoved
a line in there to load an image file instead using readimage(). (Hacked
really is the appropriate word here.)

My question is, would the plan9 approach to this (assuming this were a plan
9 thing to do in the first place) be to add a command line argument to rio
that lets the user specify a file, or would it be to present some file
somewhere the user can write a background to? E.g., `cat
/usr/glenda/backgrounds/bg.bit > /rio/bg`.

If there are any papers or man pages that'd be good to read for this
question, I'd appreciate a finger in that direction.

Thanks!

mars

* Re: [9fans] The correct way to do an incorrect thing
@ 2016-09-28 23:58 ` Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2016-09-28 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] The correct way to do an incorrect thing
@ 2016-09-29  7:48   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-09-29  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 no, the plan 9 way is to apply for a grant first, that would support
such endeavor

@ 2016-09-29  7:54     ` Harri Haataja
From: Harri Haataja @ 2016-09-29  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I thought it would be to make an XML file describing red and yellow
polkadot that is compiled in to the source because research says
that is the the background that most increases productivity.

If anyone wants to change it they're free to go edit the code and rebuild.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right