* [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 16:40 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2016-09-11 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

   Since a similar line of conversation came up recently, I thought I'd ask...

   Maybe this was just my perception, but I remember that years ago, there seemed to be a pretty strong aversion to forking the official distribution from Bell Labs.  These days I'm not certain where the majority of the activity occurs, and which of the forks is the most "official", or at least "mainstream"...

   What would be the best place to start in, looking for the most current/widely-used distribution with amd64 support?  9front?  9atom?  Other?

As always, many thanks!

-Ben

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 17:39 ` Andrés Domínguez
From: Andrés Domínguez @ 2016-09-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Hi!
>
>    What would be the best place to start in, looking for the most
> current/widely-used distribution with amd64 support?  9front?  9atom?
> Other?

I would bet that the best distribution to start working with out of
the box is the rpi image by Richard Miller. It's bell labs' based,
afaik, but probably the most active fork is 9front (or maybe there is
no fork).

Andrés

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 17:48   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2016-09-11 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 07:39:31PM +0200, Andrés Domínguez wrote:
> > with amd64 support?
>
> the rpi image

I predict suffering.

Benjamin:  I wouldn't get too hung up on amd64 specifically.  Labs,
9atom, and 9front should all work fine out of the box, and by the time
you're using the system enough to be interested in accessing larger
memory, you'll have a clear idea of which direction you want to go.

I'm making an assumption there that memory support is what motivates
your request for amd64 -- is there another reason you have in mind?  For
most cases, there isn't a tremendous difference a user would notice
otherwise.  i386 and amd64 live in harmony here.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 17:50   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2016-09-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

he wrote *AMD*64 not *ARM*64 ;-)

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 18:36     ` Andrés Domínguez
From: Andrés Domínguez @ 2016-09-11 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 07:39:31PM +0200, Andrés Domínguez wrote:
>> > with amd64 support?
>>
>> the rpi image
>
> I predict suffering.

I understood that he wanted to start with a distribution with amd64
support, not to start running it on amd64. Most, if not all, rpi
sources has been integrated into bell labs' distribution. It's not
clear to me if he wants the distribution with better amd64 support or
the most used/developed/supported with amd64 support (from the
question looks more the later).

Andrés

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 18:39     ` Andrés Domínguez
From: Andrés Domínguez @ 2016-09-11 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> he wrote *AMD*64 not *ARM*64 ;-)

Does plan9 on the rpi run armv8? I thought it was armv7 even on the rpi3.

Andrés

* Re: [9fans] Distros
@ 2016-09-11 18:43       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2016-09-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> he wrote *AMD*64 not *ARM*64 ;-)
>
> Does plan9 on the rpi run armv8? I thought it was armv7 even on the rpi3.

it was a joke...

--
cinap