What Marius wrote is mostly accurate. If you set devdrawretina=1 you get tinier pixels; acme, sam, and 9term know to draw thicker lines in response; other programs do not. If you want fonts that look somewhat like the Plan 9 bitmaps, I use this with acme: #!/bin/bash export devdrawretina=1 /usr/local/plan9/bin/acme -f /mnt/font/LucidaGrande/25a/font -F /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular/25a/font "$@" It would be nice if acme, sam, 9term adjusted the font size to match the display DPI accordingly. I have code that does this (I lied above; I actually start acme with size 15a fonts and it scales to decide to use the 25a fonts), but I am not happy enough with it yet. The main thing that is missing is that if the window changes from retina to non-retina or vice versa (for example, you use a retina laptop with an external monitor and drag a window from one screen to the other), acme and sam know to redraw with thicker or thinner lines but I don't quite have to font adjustment during resize correct. The lack of on-the-fly font resizing is a continual source of pain for me (I end up having to restart acme a lot), and at some point I will finish it. Ideally I want to get to the point where devdrawretina=1 acme (no other arguments) just works. For fun, try 'devdrawretina=1 9term -f /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular/80a/font' and then in that window run 'unicode fffe'. Russ