From: Terry Wendt <silicon.penguin67@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Install Advice requested
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 02:31:44 -0400	[thread overview]

I'm a glutton for pain.  First, it wasn't the plan9.iso, but the
9athom.iso.  I think the original problem occured by
exiting(Ctrl+Alt+Del) before the install was done.  I guess I should
have used Ctrl-d to stop the process I was in.  Anyway, after exiting
the install program and rebooting I discovered that 3 of my partitions
got whacked.  I used a live knoppix disc to boot up, get online and
get a tool to repair the borked partitions(testdisk).  Well, that
worked well.  Next, used my openSuS rescue dvd to reinstall grub2, and
got everything back up.

I copied the plan9.iso over to the plan9 partition, and even copied
all the files and directories as well.  Remember though, I actually
was installing from the 9atom.iso... genius.  I finally figured out
how to setup grub2 for plan 9.  Then I kept getting the same error
over and over trying to boot into that partition: "error: invalid
signature".  Went into fdisk and toggled the partition TYPE flag to
0x39, done.  At this point, I could boot from grub2 into plan9, but of
course the install wasn't complete.

This is where the pain begins again.

Insert 9atom.iso.  Reboot.  The install picked up where it left off.
Got all the to [copydist].  It was in the middle of this that it ran
out of room!  Oh yeah, that copy of plan9.iso sitting there and it was
only a 1.1GB partition. Control-D my way out, go back into openSuSE
and try to go into the plan9 partition to delete the iso file - nope,
that wasn't gonna happen, there were only 3 or 4 files there??? I
guess the rest of the filesystem couldn't be seen... ok, no problem.
Delete the partition, double the size to 2.2GB.  Reboot using the
9atom.iso, and start the install.  Now, for some reason, 9atom doesn't
like the partition?  Do I control-d my way out I ask?  Of course not -
control-alt-delete.  Reboot.  Grub can't find a bootable partition...
Yep, whacked my system again.  The real strange thing is its all the
linux partitions on the extend partition?  Very strange.

So here I am again in knoppix, doing it all over again.  But I must
admit, I learn a lot via these sessions of self-abuse.  8^0

It would be nice if it wouldn't do that by exiting the install in a
way it doesn't like.  Maybe it could intercept that trio of
keys(control-alt-del) and produce the control-d itself??

Ok, wish me luck, I'm going in.
Terry.