* [9fans] plan9 iso image cont.
@ 2013-06-28 21:26 Terry Wendt
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-06-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

K3b actually said 721.7 GB. As in Gigabytes.

So, I've downloaded, burned, and tried to install the following iso images:

9front-2688.28a9914426a3.iso (I used Brasero to burn the cd, no size complaints)
+9atom.iso
9atom.iso
9atom.nboot.iso
plan9.iso

None actually booted, but some got farther then others.

Results:

plan9.iso - "PBSR...EI" <---- as far as it got and froze
9atom.nboot.iso - circular reboot
+9atom.iso - circular reboot
9atom.iso - booted from cd, got to choose option 2(boot from cd),
these are the last few lines:

ehci 0xe0001000: port3 didn't reset within 500ms; status 0x1101
ehci 0xe0001000: port4 didn't reset within 500ms; status 0x1101
usb/kb... usb/kb... root is from(il, tcp, local)[local!#S/sdD0/data]:
cpu0: spurious interupt 39, last 11

I hit enter after about 3 minutes of no action...
kfs...version...time...
init: starting /bin/rc

Nothing else ever happened, even after lots of key-presses.

9front.iso - never gave me an option to run from cd or install, it
just started launching itself.
Several screens of info and it stop on this line:
bootargs is (tcp, il, local!device)[local!dev/sdD0/data] _
<----blinking cursor, doa!

I burned all the iso images with K3b, with the exception of 9front. I
used brasero for that and brasero did not complain about file size and
volume size not matching.  However, when I open 9front up in K3b, it
does complain that the filesize is 530.9 MiB, while the volume size is
reported as 1 TiB.

Gorka - The reason I asked about whether or not I should be unzipping
the iso is the plan9 install instruction have a line thus:
boot from: sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
I realize that's probably a floppy sized gzipped boot image on the cd,
my question made me feel like a dolt, but I don't mind that too much.
Anyway, next steps?
Terry.

* [9fans] plan9 iso image cont.
@ 2013-06-28 23:28 Terry Wendt
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-06-28 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyway, next steps?

> I would recommend either a virtual machine like Bakul says or, if possible
> change the CD drive. You could try also booting from USB, I don't know
> if there are any usb images laying around...

I'm starting to think maybe the dvd drive is buggy.
I'll probably swap the cd and dvd.  If that doesn't help, I'll try the
grub install.

Thanks again 9fans,
Terry.