* [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 12:53 joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-15 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,

I am a new user to bell labs plan9. I have it installed on my raspberry pi
400, and I'd also like to get it running on my old desktop as a file
server, which ive been able to boot using legacy9s USB (don't  have blank
CDs for bell labs). I was wondering about something, I've been having some
difficultly using the OS, using commands to do things and getting web
browsing to work with abaco (complains about no DNS). Is the OS assuming
you are proficent in Unix commands? I am not that experienced with
Unix/Linux commands, other than the odd cp or rm commands. I am glad the
man pages are available on the system, but it doesn't really point me in
the right direction on how to write commands, thus my question. I wonder if
I'm missing a certain paper or guide. Sorry if am bothering anyone with
this question, and please excuse my ignorance.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 13:05 ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2021-10-15 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A few useful links to get started:

https://pspodcasting.net/dan/blog/2019/plan9_desktop.html#intro
http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html
http://wiki.9front.org
http://only9fans.com

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 14:07   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-10-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

15.10.2021 15:05:25 Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir <ftrvxmtrx@gmail.com>:

> A few useful links to get started:

To add more infos for community stuff and more:

(Of course, read as much as possible, the man pages, wiki, fqa, articles,
papers, .... My notes here are just for you to get a small overview of
the community.)

In general, you'll notice that the bubble is quite small. You'll see the
same people hanging around and actually meet with people rather than
writing as an anonymous person to other anonymous persons. I was active
for less than a month and people started recognizing me.

Here are places people hang out and discuss stuff:

Mailing lists. There are few of them. The 9fans mailing list (here), I
won't say anything about it (you are already here).

There's also the 9front mailing list for 9front-specific topics (9front
is a fork); as well as the inferno mailing list.

For chatting there are multiple channels:

The 9fans discord server [1] if you prefer modern apps. We have a voice
chat and some channels, as well as a bot. Some of the channels are
bridged to a matrix channel and (through that) to the ##9fans irc on
oftc.

The ##9fans oftc (actually multiple channels) channels.

The #cat-v channel on oftc is often used for 9front discussion (and cat-v
discussion).

9p.zone (which is also the web page) has its own chat system known as
gridchat (short: grid). It's a 9p filesystem you can import into your
system and read-write the files there. There are some very special people
there who don't usually hang out in the other community channels.

In general you'll meet many people in multiple channels depending on
their preference. You can ask your questions everywhere and hopefully
they'll be answered.

Welcome to the community!

sirjofri

---
[1] https://discord.gg/AMDKS4wdVR

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 15:54 ` smj
From: smj @ 2021-10-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com>:
> CDs for bell labs). I was wondering about something, I've been having some
> difficultly using the OS, using commands to do things and getting web
> browsing to work with abaco (complains about no DNS). Is the OS assuming
> you are proficent in Unix commands? I am not that experienced with
> Unix/Linux commands, other than the odd cp or rm commands. I am glad the
> man pages are available on the system, but it doesn't really point me in
> the right direction on how to write commands, thus my question. I wonder if
> I'm missing a certain paper or guide. Sorry if am bothering anyone with
> this question, and please excuse my ignorance

Joseph, this is the sort of thing we've been helping folks out with in
SDF with the Plan9 Boot Camps.  Plan9 can be especially confusing to a
new user if they have any amount of UNIX/Linux experience because they'll
tend to expect Plan9 to behave more or less in a certain way.  You' in a
sort of flatlander mentality at that point and you're not alone.

The quarterly Boot Camps are for beginner to intermediate Plan9 users and
puts you in an environment with others where there are no "dumb" questions.
It is easy for a seasoned Plan9 user to have forgotten those new experiences
and I often get reminded of this, even as recently as yesterday when a new
Plan9 user asked:  "I get a grey screen and no response from mouse clicks.
Am I logged in?".  In the Boot Camp we go over basics like these including
going into a little of the history of Plan9's origins in research UNIX.

The key with Plan9 is that while, yes, you can run it stand alone, all by
yourself, you'll learn much more if you're in an active community with
multi-nodes, many active users and a helpful community.  In fact, many
folks who have started as beginners have continued on each quarter so
that they can help newusers and build activities.

Latecomers are WelCOM - https://9p.sdf.org

smj

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 17:29     ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you to both of you for the responses. I guess getting deep into the
man pages is how I'll have to go about running things. I'm actually
considering taking the OS off my pi, and loading it onto the desktop I have
as a CPU/file server. I can get legacy9 to boot on it, I just need to
figure out how to get it to work and connect the pi via TCP. I also have
though of just leaving the running system on my pi, also load it on the old
desktop, and just have both boxes talk to each other. The first idea sounds
more fun but I'm unsure.

@ 2021-10-15 17:45       ` Michael Misch
From: Michael Misch @ 2021-10-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I went all in on my first foray, and set up discrete fs + auth + cpu + terms, it was fun but wholly unnecessary. Eventually I settled into fs/auth on one, and a cpu server on the side with drawterm/terms. This was all 9front, which has some niceties for networked setups, including cpu listeners for fs/auth to maintain without needing serial/gui/ssh access.

> On Oct 15, 2021, at 10:31 AM, joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thank you to both of you for the responses. I guess getting deep into the man pages is how I'll have to go about running things. I'm actually considering taking the OS off my pi, and loading it onto the desktop I have as a CPU/file server. I can get legacy9 to boot on it, I just need to figure out how to get it to work and connect the pi via TCP. I also have though of just leaving the running system on my pi, also load it on the old desktop, and just have both boxes talk to each other. The first idea sounds more fun but I'm unsure.
>
>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2021, 10:09 AM sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>>
>> 15.10.2021 15:05:25 Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir <ftrvxmtrx@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > A few useful links to get started:
>>
>> To add more infos for community stuff and more:
>>
>> (Of course, read as much as possible, the man pages, wiki, fqa, articles,
>> papers, .... My notes here are just for you to get a small overview of
>> the community.)
>>
>> In general, you'll notice that the bubble is quite small. You'll see the
>> same people hanging around and actually meet with people rather than
>> writing as an anonymous person to other anonymous persons. I was active
>> for less than a month and people started recognizing me.
>>
>> Here are places people hang out and discuss stuff:
>>
>> Mailing lists. There are few of them. The 9fans mailing list (here), I
>> won't say anything about it (you are already here).
>>
>> There's also the 9front mailing list for 9front-specific topics (9front
>> is a fork); as well as the inferno mailing list.
>>
>> For chatting there are multiple channels:
>>
>> The 9fans discord server [1] if you prefer modern apps. We have a voice
>> chat and some channels, as well as a bot. Some of the channels are
>> bridged to a matrix channel and (through that) to the ##9fans irc on
>> oftc.
>>
>> The ##9fans oftc (actually multiple channels) channels.
>>
>> The #cat-v channel on oftc is often used for 9front discussion (and cat-v
>> discussion).
>>
>> 9p.zone (which is also the web page) has its own chat system known as
>> gridchat (short: grid). It's a 9p filesystem you can import into your
>> system and read-write the files there. There are some very special people
>> there who don't usually hang out in the other community channels.
>>
>> In general you'll meet many people in multiple channels depending on
>> their preference. You can ask your questions everywhere and hopefully
>> they'll be answered.
>>
>> Welcome to the community!
>>
>> sirjofri
>>
>> ---
>> [1] https://discord.gg/AMDKS4wdVR
>
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 18:36         ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Nice! I'm still understanding how to use the OS. I can't even get on the
web as its complaining about DNS servers in abaco (I know mothra is
preferred but I'm using bell labs plan 9). I need to understand how I can
get two plan 9 systems to talk to each other, and then able to mount the fs
system on my standalone RPI. I guess it will come to me in due time.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-15 18:56           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-10-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fyi, mothra isn't really *better* than abaco, both support only a
small subset of websites, and not exactly the same subset. that's not
the reason to switch to 9front ;)

on 9front we use rcpu and rimport
on ball-labs you can only use the insecure cpu and import commands.

but if you had a central fileserver, and cpu-boot from that, this
kinda comes for free...

@ 2021-10-15 21:00             ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Your quite right, I wouldn't switch to 9front for that reason, but is nice
that 9front does have more secure protocols in place. I stuck with bell
labs because the RPI iso was right there I wanted to see the OS from the
beginning. Its also why I have the bootable 9legacy USB for my old desktop,
but that's sitting around until I can figure out the OS, so then I can get
it running how I want on there, and link up the systems so that the desktop
acts as a shared fs.

@ 2021-10-16  2:45     ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2021-10-16  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

Sincerely,
Vester "Vic" Thacker

@ 2021-10-16 10:13               ` Keith Gibbs
From: Keith Gibbs @ 2021-10-16 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yeah, don't switch for simple tools like mothra, but as you learn
more, there are strengths to both.

I ran the "9miller" Pi version for a bit and as a retro computer
collector and old software junkie, I enjoyed myself, but I played with
VMs and then got some baremetal installs of 9front going.

9legacy is fantastic for the "historical preservation" end of things
and it totally usable.  I found myself more and more drawn to 9front
because it is more about *using* Plan 9 for either specialized purpose
or daily driver usage.  I personally run a 9front cpu+auth server on
my network with 9p/drawterm ports forwarded from my fiber hookup.  In
that way, I always have access to my 9 box from the office, from home,
from anywhere.  I use it for writing, C, Go, IRC, as well as a
webserver.  Also, since it is on my network, I can basically access
any machine of mine via sshfs or 9p at any time, making it a Rosetta
Stone of sorts.  Most new software made by the community tends to be
developed with 9front in mind/on 9front, so if you are looking for
things like YouTube playback, security, a more modern browser (netsurf
port), esoteric programming languages, etc.  you will have an easier
time on 9front.

That being said, some really old stuff doesn't quite work the same as
old old 9, which can get annoying if you find docs or software from
decades ago, but that's less important for me personally.

So get your feet wet!  If you find you like the retro computing aspect
most, 9legacy is a great distro.  If you are most interested in
modern/more experimental stuff, 9front is awesome.  That being said,
9front is *not that far* from Plan 9 from Bell Labs 4th edition,
especially compared to Harvey, Jehanne, or even Inferno in a lot of
ways.  Folks from both (actually *all*) communities are frequent
readers/users of this mailing list.

Cheers,

-pixelheresy

Quoth joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com>:
> Your quite right, I wouldn't switch to 9front for that reason, but is nice
> that 9front does have more secure protocols in place. I stuck with bell
> labs because the RPI iso was right there I wanted to see the OS from the
> beginning. Its also why I have the bootable 9legacy USB for my old desktop,
> but that's sitting around until I can figure out the OS, so then I can get
> it running how I want on there, and link up the systems so that the desktop
> acts as a shared fs.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-16 12:35                 ` Mart Zirnask
From: Mart Zirnask @ 2021-10-16 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Also, if you want an overview of the system, Nemo's book "Introduction
to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs" is an
awesome resource.
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/9.intro.pdf

Best,
Mart

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 at 13:14, Keith Gibbs <k@pixelheresy.com> wrote:

> Yeah, don't switch for simple tools like mothra, but as you learn
> more, there are strengths to both.
>
> I ran the "9miller" Pi version for a bit and as a retro computer
> collector and old software junkie, I enjoyed myself, but I played with
> VMs and then got some baremetal installs of 9front going.
>
> 9legacy is fantastic for the "historical preservation" end of things
> and it totally usable.  I found myself more and more drawn to 9front
> because it is more about *using* Plan 9 for either specialized purpose
> or daily driver usage.  I personally run a 9front cpu+auth server on
> my network with 9p/drawterm ports forwarded from my fiber hookup.  In
> that way, I always have access to my 9 box from the office, from home,
> from anywhere.  I use it for writing, C, Go, IRC, as well as a
> webserver.  Also, since it is on my network, I can basically access
> any machine of mine via sshfs or 9p at any time, making it a Rosetta
> Stone of sorts.  Most new software made by the community tends to be
> developed with 9front in mind/on 9front, so if you are looking for
> things like YouTube playback, security, a more modern browser (netsurf
> port), esoteric programming languages, etc.  you will have an easier
> time on 9front.
>
> That being said, some really old stuff doesn't quite work the same as
> old old 9, which can get annoying if you find docs or software from
> decades ago, but that's less important for me personally.
>
> So get your feet wet!  If you find you like the retro computing aspect
> most, 9legacy is a great distro.  If you are most interested in
> modern/more experimental stuff, 9front is awesome.  That being said,
> 9front is *not that far* from Plan 9 from Bell Labs 4th edition,
> especially compared to Harvey, Jehanne, or even Inferno in a lot of
> ways.  Folks from both (actually *all*) communities are frequent
> readers/users of this mailing list.
>

> Cheers,
>
> -pixelheresy
>
> Quoth joseph turco <italian.pepe.32@gmail.com>:
> > Your quite right, I wouldn't switch to 9front for that reason, but is nice
> > that 9front does have more secure protocols in place. I stuck with bell
> > labs because the RPI iso was right there I wanted to see the OS from the
> > beginning. Its also why I have the bootable 9legacy USB for my old desktop,
> > but that's sitting around until I can figure out the OS, so then I can get
> > it running how I want on there, and link up the systems so that the desktop
> > acts as a shared fs.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-16 14:08                   ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2021-10-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that 800 and odd book looks good Mart...
will have a read of it with freud later hahaha
/c:2021161015
ps: i have my masters degree document available and theres
some info on Plan 9 in it too from 02-2003

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-16 19:07                     ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the book resource. I plan to figure out how to get the two
systems talking, and want to use the old desktop as the fs for the pi,
while its running its own p9 instance. I am reading the man pages and the
papers to see if I can find what i need for that to happen. As I said
before, I am not well versed in Unix commands other than the basic stuff. I
don't know pipes very well and really relied on googling more than doing
myself for some things when I use Linux. More of a curse than a blessing.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-16 19:11                       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-10-16 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe i can help by explaining the terminology that we use.

you plan to use the old desktop as the central fileserver and you want
the pi to be a netbooted terminal or cpu server.

a fairly standard setup. definitely read all of the documents in
/sys/doc, it's quite fun on the first time :)

@ 2021-10-17 18:54                         ` antonio.fin
From: antonio.fin @ 2021-10-17 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For dns try:
DNSSERVER=8.8.8.8 (or your favourite dns server)
For dhcp: ip/ipconfig
ndb/dns -r
and then DNSSERVER...
https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/network_configuration/index.html

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-18 16:26                           ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks I got it to work! Now I have to fix the time. I did a cp
/adm/timezone/Canada_Eastern /adm/timezone/local but get a permission
denied error. I'm logged in as Glenda.

On another note, my Ethernet is not working anymore on my "server" I'm
trying to setup. You are correct that I would like to net boot the pi from
the "server" acting as CPU,file,and auth server. I found a guide to do a
PXE boot for the pi by flashing the eeprom with the option to either boot
from SD, and if absent, will try to netboot, but I have to sort out what's
going on with the Ethernet on the "server" and then configure it as an all
in one.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021, 2:56 PM <antonio.fin@gmail.com> wrote:

> For dns try:
> DNSSERVER=8.8.8.8 (or your favourite dns server)
> For dhcp: ip/ipconfig
> ndb/dns -r
> and then DNSSERVER...
> https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/network_configuration/index.html
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T4e8989ee42951fa0-Mfc3460d00a736abf144aaa77>

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-19 17:46                             ` antonio.fin
From: antonio.fin @ 2021-10-19 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For PXE boot from a CPU server, I don't remember all the configuration, but I remember that you have to create a file with the MAC of the Ethernet client that you are using for pxe boot.
it is in /cfg/pxe
You have to create a file with the name of the mac address, and then you have to copy the content of the default file. Then you can edit it to your needs, or you can mix the content of the default file with the content of example-pi file and try to find the configuration that works for you.

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-19 21:27                               ` Michael Misch
From: Michael Misch @ 2021-10-19 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(For system-specific booting. It will use default, by default if that suits your needs)

@ 2021-10-20 15:50                                 ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

so the ethernet died on the desktop, im not sure why. it doesn't work in
any linux distros i use as well, so that's not going to happen anymore. i
also got a new mouse to use (a actual three button mouse with no scroll
wheel) and richard millers rpi plan 9 doesnt work with it, and i cannot get
9front to boot on my pi 400 without it freaking out about the sd card
controller. i read some threads where someone was trying to fix it, but
they didn't get anywhere with it. Maybe ill revisit 9front once that's
sorted.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Michael Misch <michaelmisch1985@gmail.com>
wrote:

> (For system-specific booting. It will use default, by default if that
> suits your needs)
>
> On Oct 19, 2021, at 10:47 AM, antonio.fin@gmail.com wrote:
>

> For PXE boot from a CPU server, I don't remember all the configuration,
> but I remember that you have to create a file with the MAC of the Ethernet
> client that you are using for pxe boot.
> it is in /cfg/pxe
> You have to create a file with the name of the mac address, and then you
> have to copy the content of the default file. Then you can edit it to your
> needs, or you can mix the content of the default file with the content of
> example-pi file and try to find the configuration that works for you.
>
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T4e8989ee42951fa0-M1d68ae3102713c0ba1ec9150>

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-20 16:03                                   ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2021-10-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Freaking out in what way?

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-20 16:46                                     ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sigrid:

it spams this a bunch of times and then sits at the boot method line.
sdhc: read error intr 2008002 stat 1fff0000

i then press enter for the default local (or type local) and then it spams
it again and then back to the boot method line.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:05 PM Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir <
ftrvxmtrx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Freaking out in what way?

* Re: [9fans] New to plan9
@ 2021-10-20 16:56                                       ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2021-10-20 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is no SD card in the slot? I used to see sdhc errors because of
that - I've decided to boot from a usb flash drive only. I disabled
sdmmc/sdhc in the kernel config and rebuilt it to get rid of the
errors.

@ 2021-10-20 17:06                                         ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-20 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a sd card in the slot, its where the 9front image is.  you boot off
of the usb drive? i'm not well versed in kernel modification, is it
complex?

@ 2021-10-20 17:14                                           ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2021-10-20 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not really. Making pi boot from USB by default (and fallback to SD) is
well described in the numerous Linux-related guides. Installing 9front
on a USB device using its installer is a bit more tricky, iirc. I did
it manually, reading through install scripts and repeating the
commands with small adjustments. I don't remember exactly what I
changed, I should have written a guide or something.

@ 2021-10-20 18:44                               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-10-20 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI, I have some notes on PXE booting 9pi (Richards' 9legacy 32bit
port with 9front wireless support) on various RPi models.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hgcsAgk_FJRYW5r7LVeY23sTZN_giUit-8ra-dlW9ng/edit?usp=sharing

@ 2021-10-20 21:55                                 ` joseph turco
From: joseph turco @ 2021-10-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks for resource Skip. if i ever get the ethernet working on my desktop
ill try it out!

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 2:46 PM Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> FYI, I have some notes on PXE booting 9pi (Richards' 9legacy 32bit
> port with 9front wireless support) on various RPi models.
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hgcsAgk_FJRYW5r7LVeY23sTZN_giUit-8ra-dlW9ng/edit?usp=sharing
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 10:46 AM <antonio.fin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For PXE boot from a CPU server, I don't remember all the configuration,
> but I remember that you have to create a file with the MAC of the Ethernet
> client that you are using for pxe boot.
> > it is in /cfg/pxe
> > You have to create a file with the name of the mac address, and then you
> have to copy the content of the default file. Then you can edit it to your
> needs, or you can mix the content of the default file with the content of
> example-pi file and try to find the configuration that works for you.
> > 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options

* Re: [9fans] New to Plan9
@ 2000-08-26 20:23 ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2000-08-26 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <200008231430.KAA27086@cse.psu.edu> you write:
>As for the 486 it sounds like more floppy problems
>(something is amiss in the floppy driver, but no
>one is sure what).  I don't understand why having
>an old floppy drive under Linux would mean you
>can't mount disks of type vfat or ext2.  I don't
>know what tricks ext2 pulls, but vfat should be
>using the same bits as fat does, i.e. the standard
>1.44MB of data.

ext2 is a garden variety FFS. It could not care less about the media or
geometry - all accesses go through getblk() and bread() (or pagecache
equivalents in 2.4) and it simply doesn't know anything about the
underlying device.

There are some _very_ sick tricks used by deranged DOS format(8) variants.
Resulting diskette
	a) has different physical format on the first track and on the
rest of the disk (the first track is shorter, usually 18 sectors vs.
30 or so)
	b) contains filesystem thinking that the first track has the same size
as everything else (otherwise DOS would barf and die)
	c) relies on the fact that fatfs has reserved area it never touches.
That reserved area is actually not present - it would live in the end of the
first track if that track would have the same size as everything else.

It works under DOS because DOS uses 3D addressing and never asks for the
blocks in the end of first track. Linux floppy driver tries to cope with
such horror when it meets one, but the best it can do is to refuse serving
the requests for blocks in that "hole" - if it would just map the block 18
to the beginning of the second track fatfs would die, because it expects
block 30 there. E.g. dd(1) will be very unhappy. IMO we shouldn't support
that mess at all - yes, it's impossible to deal with from userland, but
anyone dumb enough to use 2m and its ilk deserves to lose.

That's the only case when ability to use the disk will depend on fs in
question and it's _really_ not something you want to support. _If_ the
diskettes with problems are in 2m format - just tell user to sod off or
to do normal lowlevel format. Frankly, we should do the same, but maintainer
of floppy driver has some strange ideas about being nice to lusers.

It it's not a 2m perversion and Linux can do one fs type but not another -
send the bug report.

--
Fairy Tails start "Once upon a time."
Army/Sea stories start "This is no shit."

* Re: [9fans] New to Plan9
@ 2000-08-24  8:35     ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-08-24  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"James A. Robinson" wrote:
> ipconfig(1) (located in your path as ip/ipconfig), and if you have a DHCP
> server you should be set.  I would swear that I had read in one of the
> docs that ipconfig looked up one's ethernet address in /lib/ndb/local
> and used that to set the network if it could find it. It may be that my
> /lib/ndb/local is flawed, but ipconfig could not set my ip.

I have noticed that many DHCP servers these days have no concept
of your hostname, expecting you to tell them instead of the other
way around.  This seems to be encouraged by Microsoft and partly
the result of people moving their laptops around the country.

* Re: [9fans] New to Plan9
@ 2000-08-23 15:29   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2000-08-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also, I can't seem to get the boot disk to work with any system I have
> (except my laptop.) It fr eezes right after it detects the hdds (or at
> least I think that's what it did.)

Yes, I'm having the same problem. Jim McKie has been so kind as to offer
his help, and we plan to figure out what's going on in the next week or
so. I'll send updates if something is discovered.

> I'm new to Plan 9 and would like to know where to get some
> information. I've already downloaded the boot disk and distribution
> package, but I can't figure out how to configure it. I can't get rc to use
> a smaller font, I can't figure out to use ftp or nfs. I can't even figure
> out how to give my system a name.

I'm a bit confused about your message. In your message you say you
can't get the boot disk to work with any system you have. So what are
you trying to configure?

If your questions are about how to do such things on an installed system,
most answers can be found in the man pages. You can see an online version
at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/. The papers also give a good high
level overview: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/.

You normally could edit your $home/lib/profile file to change the font
that rio(1) uses. You would use ftpfs(1) to mount a remote ftp site on
your local partition (mounted at /n/ftp, unless that's changed from the
2nd ed.). I don't about getting access to remote NFS --  I don't recall
seeing any such support.  I do know that you use u9fs(4) to serve files
off a unix box to the plan 9 machines.

For system name, DNS, etc., you need to edit the /lib/ndb/local file.  There
are lots of instructions given in the man pages and in "Getting Started With
Plan 9" http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.html. Basically you'll
need to write out what your network is, and then specify the hosts. For
example (and note that while I have DNS working, there may be an error in
this since I have a questionable problem with ipconfig(1)), if I have the
machine spensa on a network in the building galvez on stanford campus,
what I've written is

ipnet=stanford-net ip=171.64.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0 ipsubmask=255.255.255.0
	dns=171.64.7.55
	dns=171.64.7.77
	dns=171.64.7.99
	ntp=time-a.stanford.edu
	ntp=time-b.stanford.edu
	ntp=time-c.stanford.edu
	dnsdomain=stanford.edu

ipnet=galvez-net ip=171.64.31.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
	ipgw=171.64.31.1
	dns=171.64.249.100
	dns=171.64.31.74
	smtp=highwire.stanford.edu

ip=171.64.31.213 sys=spensa ether=00d0b7927b17
	dom=spensa.stanford.edu

I'm not positive of my logic for this configuration, but my reasoning
follows.  As you know, networks are assigned in the following ranges:
	0.0.0.0 to 127.255.255.255 are in Class A
	128.0.0.0 to 191.255.255.255 are in Class B
	192.0.0.0 to 223.255.255.255 are in Class C
Since networks starting with 171.64 are class B, I have to specify that
171.64.0.0 (stanford-net) should be split into class C subnets. The subnet
I'm on is 171.64.31.0 (galvez-net), and it has a gateway, dns, and smtp
servers that should be used. Under galvez-net is an actual host, in this
case spensa. I just specify the ip address, name, and ethernet address.
And the dom=spensa.stanford.edu tells it that stanford.edu is the domain.

Setting my ip address and stuff was more difficult. You use the program
ipconfig(1) (located in your path as ip/ipconfig), and if you have a DHCP
server you should be set.  I would swear that I had read in one of the
docs that ipconfig looked up one's ethernet address in /lib/ndb/local
and used that to set the network if it could find it. It may be that my
/lib/ndb/local is flawed, but ipconfig could not set my ip. I ended up
writing a small hack to set the ip, and I posted it a day or so ago.

Jim

* Re: [9fans] New to Plan9
@ 2000-08-23 14:29 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-08-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e_n_d_e_r, 9fans

Rc has no idea what size font it is using.
Your font is set in /usr/you/lib/profile.
To use ftp, run ftpfs.
To use nfs, there used to be a program called
cnfs in the second edition, and I tried to port it
but it didn't quite work for me.  Perhaps the
original authors will update it.

If the freezing systems have 5.25" floppy disks,
try disabling them.  If you've specified an ether
card, try commenting it out in plan9.ini.

As for the 486 it sounds like more floppy problems
(something is amiss in the floppy driver, but no
one is sure what).  I don't understand why having
an old floppy drive under Linux would mean you
can't mount disks of type vfat or ext2.  I don't
know what tricks ext2 pulls, but vfat should be
using the same bits as fat does, i.e. the standard
1.44MB of data.

Russ

* [9fans] New to Plan9
@ 2000-08-23  9:10 ` Roy Miller
From: Roy Miller @ 2000-08-23  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm new to Plan 9 and would like to know where to get some information. I've already downloaded the boot disk and distribution package, but I can't figure out how to configure it. I can't get rc to use a smaller font, I can't figure out to use ftp or nfs. I can't even figure out how to give my system a name. I plan on running Plan 9 standalone.

Also, I can't seem to get the boot disk to work with any system I have (except my laptop.) It freezes right after it detects the hdds (or at least I think that's what it did.) All it prints is:

PBS...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
dev A0 port 1F0 config 427A capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007 udma 0407
dev B0 port 1F0 config 0040 capabilities 0B01 mwdma 0407
dev B0 port 170 config 85C0 capabilities 2F00 mwdma 0007

And then it freezes. The computer is a FIC 503+ w/ a K6-2 and an AGP videocard. It runs FreeBSD, and has windows stuffed on the second hdd. I have a similar system, however, but it only runs windows and has two video cards. It boots fine, but complains about an unknown video card. I'll try to modify the vgadb file later, but why should it boot and not the other?

I have another laptop, it's an old 486 with an old floppy (can't use vfat or ext2, must use fat or minix,) and it stops after this message:

(...)
kfs...boot: nop...kfs 6: suicide: sys trap: fault read addr=blah blah pc=blahdidyblah
boot: read not: file does not exist
panic: boot process dies: unknown
ktrace (...)

Very confusing. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

--Roy Miller
http://www.eightbit.org
AIM: eightbt

The idea is to die young as late as possible.
                -- Ashley Montague