Thanks for the book resource. I plan to figure out how to get the two systems talking, and want to use the old desktop as the fs for the pi, while its running its own p9 instance. I am reading the man pages and the papers to see if I can find what i need for that to happen. As I said before, I am not well versed in Unix commands other than the basic stuff. I don't know pipes very well and really relied on googling more than doing myself for some things when I use Linux. More of a curse than a blessing. On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 10:11 AM Conor Williams wrote: > that 800 and odd book looks good Mart... > will have a read of it with freud later hahaha > /c:2021161015 > ps: i have my masters degree document available and theres > some info on Plan 9 in it too from 02-2003 > > On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 12:36 PM Mart Zirnask > wrote: > >> Also, if you want an overview of the system, Nemo's book "Introduction >> to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs" is an >> awesome resource. >> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/9.intro.pdf >> >> Best, >> Mart >> >> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 at 13:14, Keith Gibbs wrote: >> > >> > Yeah, don't switch for simple tools like mothra, but as you learn >> > more, there are strengths to both. >> > >> > I ran the "9miller" Pi version for a bit and as a retro computer >> > collector and old software junkie, I enjoyed myself, but I played with >> > VMs and then got some baremetal installs of 9front going. >> > >> > 9legacy is fantastic for the "historical preservation" end of things >> > and it totally usable. I found myself more and more drawn to 9front >> > because it is more about *using* Plan 9 for either specialized purpose >> > or daily driver usage. I personally run a 9front cpu+auth server on >> > my network with 9p/drawterm ports forwarded from my fiber hookup. In >> > that way, I always have access to my 9 box from the office, from home, >> > from anywhere. I use it for writing, C, Go, IRC, as well as a >> > webserver. Also, since it is on my network, I can basically access >> > any machine of mine via sshfs or 9p at any time, making it a Rosetta >> > Stone of sorts. Most new software made by the community tends to be >> > developed with 9front in mind/on 9front, so if you are looking for >> > things like YouTube playback, security, a more modern browser (netsurf >> > port), esoteric programming languages, etc. you will have an easier >> > time on 9front. >> > >> > That being said, some really old stuff doesn't quite work the same as >> > old old 9, which can get annoying if you find docs or software from >> > decades ago, but that's less important for me personally. >> > >> > So get your feet wet! If you find you like the retro computing aspect >> > most, 9legacy is a great distro. If you are most interested in >> > modern/more experimental stuff, 9front is awesome. That being said, >> > 9front is *not that far* from Plan 9 from Bell Labs 4th edition, >> > especially compared to Harvey, Jehanne, or even Inferno in a lot of >> > ways. Folks from both (actually *all*) communities are frequent >> > readers/users of this mailing list. >> > >> > >> > Cheers, >> > >> > -pixelheresy >> > >> > Quoth joseph turco : >> > > Your quite right, I wouldn't switch to 9front for that reason, but is >> nice >> > > that 9front does have more secure protocols in place. I stuck with >> bell >> > > labs because the RPI iso was right there I wanted to see the OS from >> the >> > > beginning. Its also why I have the bootable 9legacy USB for my old >> desktop, >> > > but that's sitting around until I can figure out the OS, so then I >> can get >> > > it running how I want on there, and link up the systems so that the >> desktop >> > > acts as a shared fs. > *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > > ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T4e8989ee42951fa0-M7850189e695d12aad6887d03 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription