* [9fans] Bell latest distro install problems
@ 2014-02-21 17:36 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Install fails on Dell Optiplex 3010 and Asus motherboards too, which are
both largely diffused here (Italy).
Dell 3010 is the standard for several big companies and the most
important computer chain stores
sell Asus powered machines. To buy supported foreign boxes for a client
is possible only in a few particular cases.

 From 3010 boot, before the install/boot menu:
ahci: Tunk: VID 0x8086 DID 0x1c02
#S/sdE: unknown 0xf7c02000 sata 2, 2 ports, irq 10
Rio install comes up but doesn't find any device to install on, CD boot
start
but crashes as soon as try to use the disk.

To help in solving this problem, I could perform any requested test,
send video snapshots etc.
Unfortunately I'm not organized enough to (try to) produce a patched
distro by myself.
Supposing to be able to do the patch, of course :-)

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks in advance

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Bell latest distro install problems
@ 2014-02-21 17:45 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Feb 21 12:38:19 EST 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
> Install fails on Dell Optiplex 3010 and Asus motherboards too, which are
> both largely diffused here (Italy).
> Dell 3010 is the standard for several big companies and the most
> important computer chain stores
> sell Asus powered machines. To buy supported foreign boxes for a client
> is possible only in a few particular cases.
>

>  From 3010 boot, before the install/boot menu:
> ahci: Tunk: VID 0x8086 DID 0x1c02
> #S/sdE: unknown 0xf7c02000 sata 2, 2 ports, irq 10
> Rio install comes up but doesn't find any device to install on, CD boot
> start
> but crashes as soon as try to use the disk.

i assume this is not 9atom due to the messages.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Bell latest distro install problems
@ 2014-02-21 18:00   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-21 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> On Fri Feb 21 12:38:19 EST 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
>> Install fails on Dell Optiplex 3010 and Asus motherboards too, which are
>> both largely diffused here (Italy).
>> Dell 3010 is the standard for several big companies and the most
>> important computer chain stores
>> sell Asus powered machines. To buy supported foreign boxes for a client
>> is possible only in a few particular cases.
>>

>>   From 3010 boot, before the install/boot menu:
>> ahci: Tunk: VID 0x8086 DID 0x1c02
>> #S/sdE: unknown 0xf7c02000 sata 2, 2 ports, irq 10
>> Rio install comes up but doesn't find any device to install on, CD boot
>> start
>> but crashes as soon as try to use the disk.
> i assume this is not 9atom due to the messages.
>
> - erik

Is only the report of the behaviour of the Bell's cd iso dowloaded one
hour ago.

@ 2014-02-21 18:17   ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-02-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:45 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> i assume this is not 9atom due to the messages.

It says in the title what it is.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu