* [9fans] Booting amd64 9atom hangs on R60, T400 and T410
@ 2014-02-16 12:26 Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-02-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to boot Erik's amd64 USB install image[0] on a ThinkPad
R60[1] and T400[2].

Boot process hangs after printing:
    cpu0: spurious interrupt 51, last 50
    cpu1: spurious interrupt 51, last 50

R60 picture: http://i.imgur.com/jaGOIbe.jpg
T400 picture: http://i.imgur.com/WaYgrYM.jpg

Sorry for bad lighting in the T400 picture, screen dims to minimum
brightness just as the the kernel prints the last message.

I don't have any other machines to test this on. I *think* the same
problem happens with a T410[3], but I might remember wrong. I can't
test T410 right now.

Any tips on how to debug this further? Thanks.

[0] http://ftp.9atom.org/other/usbinstamd64.bz2
[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R60
      the 15'' model with 1400x1050
[2] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400
      the model with 1440x900 CCFL
[3] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T410

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Booting amd64 9atom hangs on R60, T400 and T410
@ 2014-02-16 12:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-16 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Feb 16 07:28:11 EST 2014, aram.h@mgk.ro wrote:
> I am trying to boot Erik's amd64 USB install image[0] on a ThinkPad
> R60[1] and T400[2].
>
> Boot process hangs after printing:
>     cpu0: spurious interrupt 51, last 50
>     cpu1: spurious interrupt 51, last 50
>
> R60 picture: http://i.imgur.com/jaGOIbe.jpg
> T400 picture: http://i.imgur.com/WaYgrYM.jpg

that's messed up!  given the spot in the boot order, that looks
like the acpi interrupt.  it's puzzling that the interrupt would
be 51, and it's further puzzling that the machine would hang.

i'll try to get something to debug with later today.

are there any bios knobs that will change acpi settings on
either of these boxes?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Booting amd64 9atom hangs on R60, T400 and T410
@ 2014-02-16 12:50   ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-02-16 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> are there any bios knobs that will change acpi settings on
> either of these boxes?

No, there are not, unfortunately.

--

@ 2014-02-16 17:53     ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-02-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As a comparison, the new pc64 9front kernel works fine on these machines.

--

@ 2014-02-17 11:05 ` flo
From: flo @ 2014-02-17 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2014-02-16 13:26, Aram Hăvărneanu wrote:
> I don't have any other machines to test this on. I *think* the same
> problem happens with a T410[3], but I might remember wrong. I can't
> test T410 right now.

I own a T410 and tried Plan 9 on it a while ago. I there must be a
thread from back then on the mailing list. I was able to boot into
a live environment, but failed to install to disk. Since then I
haven’t retried since I messed up my partition table on the attempt.
I wanted to retry with another hard disk, but last week the disk
broke so I’m currently looking for yet another disk for yet another
attempt.

- Florian

* Re: [9fans] Booting amd64 9atom hangs on R60, T400 and T410
@ 2014-02-17 11:15   ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-02-17 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM,  <flo@snakeoilproductions.net> wrote:
> I own a T410 and tried Plan 9 on it a while ago. I there must be a
> thread from back then on the mailing list. I was able to boot into
> a live environment, but failed to install to disk.

Yes, 32-bit Labs Plan 9 and 32-bit non-PAE 9atom Plan 9 work on T410,
but only in IDE mode (SATA works fine but the SATA optical drives
confuses the installer). This is about the 64-bit (nix) 9atom.

9front works fine with both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.

--

@ 2014-02-17 13:05   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 2014-02-16 13:26, Aram Hăvărneanu wrote:
> > I don't have any other machines to test this on. I *think* the same
> > problem happens with a T410[3], but I might remember wrong. I can't
> > test T410 right now.
>
> I own a T410 and tried Plan 9 on it a while ago. I there must be a
> thread from back then on the mailing list. I was able to boot into
> a live environment, but failed to install to disk. Since then I
> haven’t retried since I messed up my partition table on the attempt.
> I wanted to retry with another hard disk, but last week the disk
> broke so I’m currently looking for yet another disk for yet another
> attempt.

that shouldn't be a problem now, except with the labs distribution.

- erik