* [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  3:48 Ben Hancock
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ben Hancock @ 2022-01-28  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

Acme has become my main text editor and I'm in the market for a good
mouse with a decent middle click (i.e. B2). If product recommendations
aren't eschewed on the list, would fellow acme and/or sam users be
willing to share some mice suggestions? There seem to be a real dearth
of options that have a true middle button these days.

I'm currently using an Elecom mouse designed for use with CAD programs
that has a true middle button, and it does a serviceable job. But it
feels cheap and I fear it will break with much more use. I also recently
tried a gaming mouse -- a Roccat KAIN 100 Aimo -- after reading reviews
that its scroll wheel had a decent click. But while it's quite a nice
mouse, the middle click requires more pressure than I'd prefer.

Many thanks in advance!

- Ben

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:00 ` Rob Pike
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-01-28  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

LENOVO SCROLLPOINT MOUSE - USB. I have a few of them.
None of mine have ever broken or needed maintenance.

Not sure they're made any more, and the IBM logo on this:
https://www.exxactcorp.com/Lenovo-31P7405-E1272118
may be indicative, but I've been using mine for 20+ years with
great satisfaction. And there is no wheel noise to annoy me.

Note that mine has an actual middle button, and although
it's hard to see from the picture, the text implies this version
does too. It may well be the same.

-rob

@ 2022-01-28  4:21 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2022-01-28  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My daily mouse is a Logitech 3-button mouse plugged into a PS2-USB adapter. Obviously they're not making them anymore but I've managed to acquire a bunch over the years. It's sturdy and works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384628597228

john

@ 2022-01-28  4:30   ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2022-01-28  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HP DY651A, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234392830458

I bought three of them some ten years ago, and they are still working
perfectly. It seems the model is no longer in production. The original
price was very low. I seem to recall it was also sold as an IBM mouse.

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:39 ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-28  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 07:48:15PM -0800, Ben Hancock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Acme has become my main text editor and I'm in the market for a good
> mouse with a decent middle click (i.e. B2). If product recommendations
> aren't eschewed on the list, would fellow acme and/or sam users be
> willing to share some mice suggestions? There seem to be a real dearth
> of options that have a true middle button these days.
>
> I'm currently using an Elecom mouse designed for use with CAD programs
> that has a true middle button, and it does a serviceable job. But it
> feels cheap and I fear it will break with much more use. I also recently
> tried a gaming mouse -- a Roccat KAIN 100 Aimo -- after reading reviews
> that its scroll wheel had a decent click. But while it's quite a nice
> mouse, the middle click requires more pressure than I'd prefer.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> - Ben

Many of us have had success with the Contour mice, both their
soon-discontinued 'Contour' model, available in various sizes, and their
'Unimouse' adjustable model.  HP model DY651A is a cheaper option,
but it's getting hard to find.  The Scrollpoint Rob mentioned was made
with both IBM and Lenovo branding, and was also available in a sculpted
Pro model with a thumb-actuated fourth button.

For a portable option, Lenovo sells a convertible 'Yoga' series of
wireless mice, which have two mechanical buttons and a touchpad-style
scrolling section in between; on all of these that I've tested, tapping
the scroll panel sends a middle click, and they support tap-and-hold as
you would expect.  I haven't tested some of the newer ones, and there's
always the danger some product manager got 'creative' instead of just
selling a useful product.

The Evoluent VerticalMouse series has three mechanical buttons plus a
scroll wheel between buttons 1 and 2.

Finally, the Logitech G series of gaming mice don't have separate middle
click -- they use the wheel for that -- but they frequently have other
buttons which can be configured to serve as button 2, and the
configuration software writes this setting to the device, so you don't
need weird driver support when you plug it into a real computer.

khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:42   ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-28  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 08:39:09PM -0800, Kurt H Maier via 9fans wrote:
> The Scrollpoint Rob mentioned was made
> with both IBM and Lenovo branding, and was also available in a sculpted
> Pro model with a thumb-actuated fourth button.

I should specify:  the Scrollpoint mouse technically only has two
buttons and a round pointing device in between.  The Scrollpoint II is
the one Rob describes (with either a blue or red oval pointing stick
behind a middle mouse button), and it was available in both optical and
mechanical configurations.  The Scrollpoint Pro ergonomic mouse was also
available in both optical and mechanical setups; the mechanical version
is absolutely miserable, but the optical version was great.

khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:47     ` Rob Pike
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-01-28  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have one mouse still in the original unopened box, just to be safe. The
label reads

31P7405 Lenovo Scrollpoint Mouse Model MO098OA

And I have now opened it to be sure, and it is the true blue (literally)
3-button version. It is labeled Lenovo, although the ones I use are all
labeled IBM.

-rob

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 3:44 PM Kurt H Maier via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 08:39:09PM -0800, Kurt H Maier via 9fans wrote:
> > The Scrollpoint Rob mentioned was made
> > with both IBM and Lenovo branding, and was also available in a sculpted
> > Pro model with a thumb-actuated fourth button.
>
> I should specify:  the Scrollpoint mouse technically only has two
> buttons and a round pointing device in between.  The Scrollpoint II is
> the one Rob describes (with either a blue or red oval pointing stick
> behind a middle mouse button), and it was available in both optical and
> mechanical configurations.  The Scrollpoint Pro ergonomic mouse was also
> available in both optical and mechanical setups; the mechanical version
> is absolutely miserable, but the optical version was great.
>
> khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:53       ` umbraticus
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: umbraticus @ 2022-01-28  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Trackballs also often have more than two real buttons.

umbraticus

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:55   ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-01-28  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Kurt H Maier via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:

> The Evoluent VerticalMouse series has three mechanical buttons plus a
> scroll wheel between buttons 1 and 2.

This one is my personal favorite.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:56       ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-28  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 03:47:48PM +1100, Rob Pike wrote:
> I have one mouse still in the original unopened box, just to be safe. The
> label reads
>
> 31P7405 Lenovo Scrollpoint Mouse Model MO098OA
>
> And I have now opened it to be sure, and it is the true blue (literally)
> 3-button version. It is labeled Lenovo, although the ones I use are all
> labeled IBM.
>
> -rob

Lenovo wasn't as much of a stickler for nomenclature as IBM; I ran into
all kinds of label variants -- when I worked at IBM I used to snag these
when I could.  They were also labeled 'ThinkPlus Optical Mouse' for a
while, when bundled with a computer.  Useful information for keeping
them alive can be found here:  http://www.ibmfiles.com/pages/scrollpoint.htm

khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  4:59         ` Marius Eriksen
From: Marius Eriksen @ 2022-01-28  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It’s pricy, but I love the 3dconnexion CAD mouse [1]. It tracks superbly, and the construction quality approaches Apple’s level.

[1] https://3dconnexion.com/us/cadmouse/

@ 2022-01-28  5:05       ` Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2022-01-28  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/27/22 20:47, Rob Pike wrote:
> I have one mouse still in the original unopened box, just to be safe.
> The label reads
>
> 31P7405 Lenovo Scrollpoint Mouse Model MO098OA
>
> And I have now opened it to be sure, and it is the true blue (literally)
> 3-button version. It is labeled Lenovo, although the ones I use are all
> labeled IBM.

Thanks very much for the recommendation -- and the extra due diligence! :D

I appreciate all the suggestions. Looks like there's some good options
floating around out there. I'll see what I can pick up.

Cheers,

@ 2022-01-28  5:06     ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2022-01-28  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth ori@eigenstate.org:
> Quoth Kurt H Maier via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> >
> > The Evoluent VerticalMouse series has three mechanical buttons plus a
> > scroll wheel between buttons 1 and 2.
>
> This one is my personal favorite.

I have two of these and they're quite good, though quite expensive
new.  I bought the second one "new, open box" for well under half the
then-current new price.

My only complaint would be that the wired version isn't massive
enough.  I plan to weight them down a bit with some plumbum.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-01-28  5:15       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2022-01-28  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Mine says MO09BOA. It has a Lenovo logo
and the scroll thingy is lighted blue.  It is not
a wheel, more like a single axis trackpoint.

@ 2022-01-28  5:38         ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2022-01-28  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, yes, it's MO09BOA on mine too. Small print, old eyes.

The bottom of my IBM-branded one has the same model number.

-rob

@ 2022-01-28  6:08           ` adr
From: adr @ 2022-01-28  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Trackballs also often have more than two real buttons.
> umbraticus

The good 3 buttons mouses are vanishing, I've been thinking on
giving a try to a trackball for a while. The problem is that the
small ones seem to me like a pain to point, and the large ones look
like hard to make chords with the big ball in the middle. Could you
share your experience?

adr.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  7:14             ` umbraticus
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: umbraticus @ 2022-01-28  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> small ones seem to me like a pain to point, and the large ones look
> like hard to make chords with the big ball in the middle. Could you
> share your experience?

I use a Kensington Expert which I guess falls into the big
ball in the middle category.  Honestly, most of the time I
click/chord with my left hand on the thinkpad's trackpad
buttons while rolling the ball with my right hand, but
chording with the trackball buttons is also fine.  The
scrollwheel thing is pretty nice too.

umbraticus

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  7:48               ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-01-28  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,

I just quickly want to share my experience, although I haven't used any
real three buttons mouse in the last ten years.

For my laptop system I really love the (older) IBM/lenovo trackpoint. It
has three physical buttons below the keyboard and I can reach them easily
with my thumbs. I'm sure many of you know this experience.

It's a different story on newer lenovo laptops (the ones with the modern
keyboard) where the point feels sluggish and tends to drift, which is
extremely annoying. Also it's deeper and it doesn't feel like you control
the joystick.

For my desktop environment I prefer the cheapest usable wired vertical
mouse with scrollwheel (20 Euros)[1]. It's almost one of the first search
results on amazon and it looks like many brands just use the exact same
model from the same (chinese?) manufacturer, although there are slight
differences in quality and feel.

I can click on the scrollwheel to create a MB2 event, which is fine for
me. I have to say I have used blender for years and am using Unreal
Engine as a job, so I'm used to using the scrollwheel.

The cheap vertical mice usually have two additional buttons at the thumb
side in the upper part of the devices. They are mapped to
forward/backward, but they're irrelevant for any 9 experience. I also
have another wireless vertical mouse where these buttons are in the
bottom part.

In my experience it's better to have them in the upper part since you
grab the mouse for dragging them around while repositioning. However,
it's just weird holding the mouse in the air while pressing one of the
buttons in the lower part. It's like pushing a button downwards while
keeping the device up, against gravity. However, that's just my personal
opinion. I barely use the device as I'm mostly in an office-like
situation and for mobile the trackpoint has more benefits.

sirjofri

[1] if you try to get one of these make sure to not get the very
cheapest. When I was looking the first I bought was 15 euros and it broke
after half a year or so, the next one I got for 20 euros was fine and
it's still in use after years. The material is not the best and feels
cheap but I guess that's what you get for this price.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  8:04               ` adr
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: adr @ 2022-01-28  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:

> I use a Kensington Expert which I guess falls into the big

That's funny, it's the very same I was looking at.

aliexpress.com/item/1005001848991454.html

> The scrollwheel thing is pretty nice too.

Three button mice with lateral scrollwheel are even harder to
find. That's why I ended up with this cheap one:

aliexpress.com/item/4000004785639.html

It's not so bad, the plastic feels a little cheaper than one from
hp or ibm but cost less than half the price... and it is very
accurate, really.  It enters sleep mode to save battery (you can't
disable this) and the only way to wake it is clicking one of the
buttons (not the wheel). Now the funny part: it sends the click to
the host. A nightmare.

Thanks for the feedback,
adr.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28  9:33                 ` David Leimbach via 9fans
From: David Leimbach via 9fans @ 2022-01-28  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use a big heavy trackball. Kensington pro trackball is pricey but you get four buttons and a scroll ring.

Got my first one well over 10 years ago and it’s still my daily driver. I have a second wireless one on a Mac. The wired one is better overall if you can get them. The wireless one can work with a USB dongle (tiny) or Bluetooth.

Again, they’re a bit expensive but I love the four quadrant buttons too much and this thing has survived moving across the country a few times with my less than wonderful packing skills.

Lots of great advice in this thread though! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2022-01-28 11:09                 ` fijal
From: fijal @ 2022-01-28 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm very happy with this one:  http://www.hao1885.com/products_desc.asp?id=413

Cheers
fijal

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28 12:16               ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-28 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 08:14:44PM +1300, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
> > small ones seem to me like a pain to point, and the large ones look
> > like hard to make chords with the big ball in the middle. Could you
> > share your experience?
>
> I use a Kensington Expert which I guess falls into the big
> ball in the middle category.  Honestly, most of the time I
> click/chord with my left hand on the thinkpad's trackpad
> buttons while rolling the ball with my right hand, but
> chording with the trackball buttons is also fine.  The
> scrollwheel thing is pretty nice too.

My pointing device on the desktop is an L-TRAC trackball, currently sold
by xkeys.com.  It's definitely in the 'big ball in the middle' category
but the buttons are mostly huge enough to make up for it -- I've never
found myself straining to reach anything, but I will admit the extension
ports allowing more buttons to be scattered around the desktop is a nice
bonus.  I don't recommend the LED-lit models, as they're brighter than
the goddamn sun, and trackball itself is translucent so it just shines
like a beacon.  I replaced my ball with a 9-ball to mitigate the glare.

khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28 12:43                 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-01-28 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am a long term sam user and a three button mouse, but I also like the ease of navigation of a scroll wheel.

I use a Beatus mouse - three real buttons and a scroll wheel on the side for your thumb.
Sadly they are only made right handed and they are a little small for my hand but they are still the best
I have found.

Google will find them quite easily.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28 14:36                   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2022-01-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been happy with the Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Mouse 3600
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ULQP06/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1>bearing
in mind that I'm using 9vx on a Dell as my terminal.
I should probably see if it can be made to work on an rpi

@ 2022-01-28 18:31                     ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2022-01-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For over a decade I have been using the soon-discontinued Contour
mouse. I have tried both the wired and the wireless versions, but
the wireless version has too much latency for me, although I am
particularly sensitive to latency, so YMMV.

I have been using the exact same unit since I got it, it has been
very reliable for me, however I know for a fact that the newer
versions of the mouse, even though they superficially appear to be
the same are not as reliable. They changed the plastic used in some
internal shaft and that seems to break quite often. Many of my
friends have broken Contour mice that fail in the exact same way.
That internal shaft breaks.

One friend managed to get hold of a bag of spare shafts. I suspect
they could be easily 3D printed, or replaced with a metal shaft.

In any case, since Contour announced they discontinued the model,
I ordered about 30 mice from retailers that lied about having stock
stock. I got three. With these three, I have in total about ten
spares, which I hope will last me for a while.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-28 20:24     ` Tony Mendoza
From: Tony Mendoza @ 2022-01-28 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

+1 for the Evoluent Vert mouse.  I got two.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:Quoth Kurt H Maier
via 9fans :

@ 2022-01-29  1:22                 ` adr
From: adr @ 2022-01-29  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fijal wrote:
> I'm very happy with this one:  http://www.hao1885.com/products_desc.asp?id=413

That's the same I was talking about. Don't you feel annoyed when
you have to wake it? Do you know where to buy the wired model?

hao1885.com/products_desc.asp?id=414

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-29 11:30                   ` fijal
From: fijal @ 2022-01-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got used to... No idea about wired model, even this wireless was bought "via" my friend. Hope you'll find one.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-01-29 11:54                   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-01-29 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

search ebay for beatus mouse

@ 2022-01-29 14:07                     ` adr
From: adr @ 2022-01-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 29 Jan 2022, Steve Simon wrote:
> search ebay for beatus mouse

Thanks, it's funny the three of us were talking about the same mouse.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Beatus-Button-Perfect-Buttons-Scroll/dp/B07CZ1B7H3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VAGF8O45TNZW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333469354375?epid=9032602165&hash=item4da4528987:g:CwsAAOSwTh1eJWZm

@ 2022-01-29 22:33 ` Oleg Finkelshteyn
From: Oleg Finkelshteyn @ 2022-01-29 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben, 9fans

for a little change of pace, my only desktop input device is https://tex.com.tw/products/shinobi

it's a fairly faithful recreation of https://support.lenovo.com/solutions/pd005137-thinkpad-usb-keyboard-with-trackpoint-overview but with mechanical keys and other accommodations one expects from a contemporary 'enthusiast' mechanical keyboard.

despite the funny look of the mouse buttons (repurposed keycaps), the whole trackpoint setup is very ergonomic and chording works well (albeit requiring both thumbs, but unless you are using the computer one-handed they should already be close by on the spacebar).

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-02-01  4:25   ` Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2022-02-01  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Finkelshteyn; +Cc: 9fans

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 10:33:38PM +0000, Oleg Finkelshteyn wrote:
>for a little change of pace, my only desktop input device is
>https://tex.com.tw/products/shinobi

Hey, that's neat! I've heard good things about the Shinobi on the MK
forums -- I, too, am an enthusiast :) I actually own a couple Thinkpads
as well but have yet to become adept at the trackpoint. Do you find
you're able to sweep lines as easily using it in acme as with a physical
mouse?

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-02-02  7:02           ` David Arroyo
From: David Arroyo @ 2022-02-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Farwell via 9fans

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022, at 23:59, Marius Eriksen wrote:
> It’s pricy, but I love the 3dconnexion CAD mouse [1]. It tracks superbly, and the construction quality approaches Apple’s level.
>
> [1] https://3dconnexion.com/us/cadmouse/
I use the wireless model and agree it's an excellent mouse. The shape and buttons are perfect for me.

Some caveats, though-- it has a "smart scroll" feature which stimulates inertial scrolling. I have since learned to like it, but initially you will absolutely hate it.

David

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-02-02 10:37     ` Oleg Finkelshteyn
From: Oleg Finkelshteyn @ 2022-02-02 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Hancock; +Cc: 9fans

On Tue, 1 Feb 2022, at 04:25, Ben Hancock wrote:
> Do you find you're able to sweep lines as easily using it in acme as with a physical mouse?

can't really say: i'm not a heavy acme user, and i haven't had a mouse in years. shinobi does feel pretty close to a thinkpad, so you should be able to test with a latter.
acme feels comfortable to me in my setup, but you should really check whether you are fine with having to use both thumbs to chord.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-02-02 11:06       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-02-02 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

as a trackpoint fanatic i can tell you:
no, i can't sweep as easily as with a physical mouse.

but if a physical mouse is 10/10, and a smartphone is 1/10, then a
touchpad is 3/10 and a trackpoint is 8/10 for my purposes.

the only thing that makes this more steep is gaming: there the mouse
is much more important, and sometimes reaction times matter, so if
physical mouse is still 10/10, the smartphone and touchpad is
basically unusable 0/10, the trackpoint 3/10, and the only alternative
*still* barely usable, in my books.

the only thing excluded here is those ball mice, i never got used to them.

@ 2022-03-22 20:01         ` contact
From: contact @ 2022-03-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Happy user of the Contour Rollermouse Red which I use with Acme. You can use it two-handed: one hand for cursor movement and one hand for clicking.

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-03-22 23:09     ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2022-03-22 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 01/02/2022, Ben Hancock <ben@benghancock.com> wrote:
> as well but have yet to become adept at the trackpoint. Do you find
> you're able to sweep lines as easily using it in acme as with a physical
> mouse?

A trackpoint isn't a real three-button mouse by Acme's standards. "A
real three-button mouse" is something that supports one-to-one
finger-to-button. A trackpoint is a two-button mouse with an
additional scroll button. It's designed for Windows and OS/2.

IBM-pattern mice (as in scrollpoint and original ThinkCentre) work for
me. The side walls are slightly off from vertical, for dovetailing*
into the thumb and outside finger.  (Not relevant, but I've never seen
it commented on.)  I haven't tried anything else.

Plus, trackpoint users will often accidentally type 'u', which on Plan
9 means you lose what's in your snarf buffer.

For convenience, direct link to a picture of a "dovetail" joint:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Finished_dovetail.jpg/1920px-Finished_dovetail.jpg
(since it seems these are named after a different animal in every
single language)

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-03-22 23:20       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-03-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

a trackpoint is a 2-handed chording device. clearly it's limited, but
still better than any touchpad (when you are constrained to a laptop
on the go)

@ 2022-03-22 23:32       ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-03-22 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:09:24PM +0000, Stuart Morrow wrote:
> On 01/02/2022, Ben Hancock <ben@benghancock.com> wrote:
> > as well but have yet to become adept at the trackpoint. Do you find
> > you're able to sweep lines as easily using it in acme as with a physical
> > mouse?
>
> A trackpoint isn't a real three-button mouse by Acme's standards. "A
> real three-button mouse" is something that supports one-to-one
> finger-to-button. A trackpoint is a two-button mouse with an
> additional scroll button. It's designed for Windows and OS/2.

That scroll button nonsense is a function of the Windows driver. On all
Thinkpads the buttons present as a normal three-button mouse, with
left, middle, and right-click.  Using a better operating system, or
failing to install the Trackpoint drivers, leads to normal
functionality.

This is also true of trackpoint-laden keyboards with the sole exception
of the Lenovo "ThinkPad Compact Keyboard with Trackpoint" family of
USB/Bluetooth models, and thanks to aiju a firmware fix is available to
repair some of those.

> Plus, trackpoint users will often accidentally type 'u', which on Plan
> 9 means you lose what's in your snarf buffer.

I have never seen a trackpoint user accidentally type 'u', and this is
coming from someone who has used trackpoints as their primary pointing
device from the late 1990s until about six months ago.  How exactly did
you come to this conclusion?  I wonder if this is unique to a particular
model?  I have at least one of every IBM, Lexmark, or Dolch produced
trackpoint keyboard, and I'd love to try to reproduce.

khm

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-03-23  0:00         ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2022-03-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That scroll button nonsense is a function of the Windows driver. On all
> Thinkpads the buttons present as a normal three-button mouse, with
> left, middle, and right-click.  Using a better operating system, or
> failing to install the Trackpoint drivers, leads to normal
> functionality.

I'm aware. I meant the intended use by the people who designed it. I
wouldn't call a number pad a pointing device just because it can be
used as one.

> I have never seen a trackpoint user accidentally type 'u', and this is
> coming from someone who has used trackpoints as their primary pointing
> device from the late 1990s until about six months ago.  How exactly did
> you come to this conclusion?  I wonder if this is unique to a particular
> model?  I have at least one of every IBM, Lexmark, or Dolch produced
> trackpoint keyboard, and I'd love to try to reproduce.

It's just something that happens to some of us sometimes.

https://youtu.be/zW-Kwkc13dw?t=904

* Re: [9fans] acme and sam - mouse suggestions?
@ 2022-03-23  0:48           ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-03-23  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 12:00:02AM +0000, Stuart Morrow wrote:

> I'm aware. I meant the intended use by the people who designed it. I
> wouldn't call a number pad a pointing device just because it can be
> used as one.

Apologies to Ted Selker, but it's a poor tool that only functions in
accordance with its designer's intent.  I wouldn't call a number pad a
pointing device either, but I see no need for a Cardassian "there are
two buttons" reality-denial session for a pointing device that clearly
has three.

To update my previous reply on this thread, the left mouse button of my
LTRAC trackball suffered from a failed microswitch.  While shopping
around for replacement parts I stumbled across a vendor that carries
several three-or-more button pointing devices.  Content warning for the
faint of heart:  the following page refers to non-mice as 'mouse
products.'  https://www.fentek-ind.com/ergmouse.htm

And for the record, P.I. Engineering will not sell spare parts for the
LTRAC units, but will send you links to Digikey pages to order your own.

khm