From: "Aram Hăvărneanu" <aram.h@mgk.ro>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on ESX?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:26:15 +0200	[thread overview]

> esxi != esx.  they're very different products.  (and even esxi requires
> more hardware for the same job.)
>
> the attaction for many people to using esx is that many it departments
> have it.  they don't have esxi.

You missed the news, ESX as it used to be is no more, 4.1 was the last
release. ESXi is the thing people use now. The "enterprise" feature os
ESX that were unavailable in ESXi are in a VMware Infrastructure
(VSphere/VMotion).

> esxi is also close to the worst of both worlds.  all the complications
> of virtualization, without what i see as the real benefit—vmotion.
> (live migration.)

VMotion is now simply an add-on product to ESXi, but yes, I agree with
your point.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu