On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 8:10 AM David Leimbach via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote: > > On Jan 29, 2022, at 8:03 AM, ibrahim via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote: > > > > And I believe that the reason why NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD are not as > wide spread as Linux was the lack of a compiler suite conforming to the BSD > license > > For some people it’s because they didn’t have a math coprocessor and Linux > didn’t need one. For others it was the AT&T lawsuit. > > I haven’t ever heard the compiler tool chain was a big reason, but I’d be > interested to hear your perspective here. GCC can produce code of any > license. This isn't really on-topic for 9fans, but I find this hard to believe. Linux used the exact same compiler suite, and became wildly successful while the BSD distributions mostly stagnated; certainly, the BSDs never grew at the rate or reached the levels of popularity that Linux has attained: it wasn't the license on the toolchain. I believe that David is right that it was a combination of running on really low-end hardware (in the early days, Torvalds accepted patches for just about anything), and a similarly low barrier to entry (others elsewhere have quipped about having to appease, "the Gods of BSD" to get anything into those systems) and the AT&T lawsuit, which was at best misguided but scared people off of BSD. - Dan C. ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T3e07bfdf263a83c8-M16b72f2b6c8835a3ea4ea4a7 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription