On Nov 22, 2012 9:56 AM, "dexen deVries" wrote: > > On Thursday 22 of November 2012 09:38:06 Dan Cross wrote: > > In the big scheme of things, absolutely none of this matters. Whether one > > programs in Java, C, Go, COBOL or 370 assembler doesn't really make any > > difference; one could die tomorrow, and would anyone care what language > > s/he programmed in? really? This world has bigger problems than that. > > > > Programming languages are tools; nothing more. (...) > > that assumes any programming language is (at best) a constant or linear factor > in problem solving time and complexity. some circles hold opinion that more > powerfull programming languages provide polynominal or exponential factor. I'm not sure what that has to do with programming languages being tools: I can drive a nail by banging on it with a screwdriver or my fist, but it's much more convenient to use a hammer. Which tool I choose really depends on the problem I'm trying to solve. In other words, what it assumes is that different languages are better suited to different tasks. > aside of that, in various publications number of bugs is found to correlate > with line counts or similar metrics, making a more concise language a net win. Ha! Ever programmed in APL? - Dan C.