On Nov 22, 2012 9:50 AM, "erik quanstrom" wrote: > > i agree with your point. but i think that you the statments you point > out are hyperbole. That is fair to an extent. > > In the big scheme of things, absolutely none of this matters. Whether one > > programs in Java, C, Go, COBOL or 370 assembler doesn't really make any > > difference; one could die tomorrow, and would anyone care what language > > s/he programmed in? really? This world has bigger problems than that. > > this argument isn't a good one. this is a variation of the > "finish your plate there are starving kids in africa" argument. the fact > that there are starving kids in africa has no bearing on if the kid in > the quote has had enough to eat. > > the fact that there are bigger problems in the world does not imply > that we ourselves are in a position to do anything about them. heck, > i see problems very close to home that i can't do much about. i can > try to make arguments, but very often there is no direct influence that > can be made. and being right is no comfort. Well, my point was Not, "there are kids starving in X, so instead of complaining about language Y, go there and dig a well..." but rather to try and put these things in perspective. The point was really aimed at those who seem emotionally consumed by trivial things like programming languages and command shells: there are probably more important things in their own lives that they could devote that same energy towards to better effect. To put it another way, I consider emotional arguments about programming languages so unimportant that they pale in comparison to encouraging my daughter to eat a healthy breakfast; starving kids in other countries didn't even enter my mind. - Dan C.