* [9fans] rio on plan 9 from user space
@ 2016-05-29  6:32 jfmxl
From: jfmxl @ 2016-05-29  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On another tack ... I have installed plan 9 from user space on my debian
machine, and sam and acme seem to open and work ok. But when I type rio,
I get ...

$ rio
rio: it looks like there's already a window manager running;  rio not
started

So, rio under plan 9 from user space (p9port?) wants the the whole
display?

I cannot run xfce and have rio in a window?

I am trying to communicate with a plan 9 cpu, but drawterm seems slow
and awkward.

Are there any plan 9 installations open to people like myself to 'try
out'?

* Re: [9fans] rio on plan 9 from user space
@ 2016-05-29  8:01 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2016-05-29  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, rio needs whole display in Xorg. Xorg is a huge complex beast,
can't do the same things as on plan9 easily.

It makes no sense to me that you want to run *both* xfce and rio
anyway. Decide on the one that is more useful for you.

what's your latency to the cpu server? if you're limited by high
latency you might want to try 9front with 9front's drawterm, where
certain latency sensitive draw operations are optimized a lot more
than in plan9's version.

@ 2016-05-29 14:48 ` Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2016-05-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs