From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fwd: ubiquitous environment?
Date: Sat,  3 Mar 2018 18:41:16 +0100	[thread overview]

I have 9front running on a server at ovh france, my workstation is a
windows 7 machine with drawterm in autostart. drawterm itself is run
with -p option so that it can make use of AAN, which recovers broken
TCP connections e.g. after resuming from sleep in the mornings or
during any network state changes (windows frequently resets TCP
connections even if it wouldn't be needed).

This way my rio windows always stay open on windows, even though all
the windows network shares, vnc sessions, ssh stuff break every time
and have to be painstakingly reconnected.
If I could make the drawterm files accessible to windows (you rangboom
people please step forward), then I could mount the cifs share on
9front, and then mount that on windows via drawterm to have more
stable connectivity to my windows shares.
I hope the rangboom people will share their technology so we won't
have to port cifsd to drawterm instead.

if i am in the train and on my laptop i can log into the same server.
i have a little LTE wifi router that maintains a tunnel to france so i
can keep on using the same IP when my laptop and phone leave the house
(actually AAN wouldn't even be needed for mobility if it wasn't for
crappy low NAT timeouts during temporary connection problems and
sleep).

Since my laptop is a separate terminal with it's own rio session,
sadly the rio windows are not synced. As Russ mentioned though i have
access to the same files.
You have to be careful with open sam windows in case they have unsaved
changes, but the dropbox people have the same merge conflicts. As a
windows user I learned to save my files instead. :)

It would be nice to have less local state (i.e. rio windows, devdraw).
Multiple approaches could be used quite easily.
One of them that is very curious is mycroftiv's ANTS project, which
separates the state of rio rc windows from the graphical environment.

acme also has state-saving functionality. it needs to be killed or
told to though. in my scenario it wouldn't get killed cause my session
survives, and i don't want it to close on one side normally :)

no idea if sam has anything for this, so right now i advocate
discipline instead.