From: hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9p server to multiply 9p messages?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:33:53 +0200	[thread overview]

> the challenge is that 9p is stateful, so all servers must
> replay the same messages in the same order

no, not all servers.
9p state could be faked, that's not the main problem here.
the main problem is the higher layer application logic per server.
this is both good and bad.
e.g. some very few servers are stateless in this sense.
a lot of servers are stateful in a way that it becomes near-impossible
to recreate the state somewhere else.
there's also the "most stateful" of servers, the fileserver, which we
*can* reconnect to trivially in some edge-cases, because disk files
always support seeking, if we sync the open/seeked files and
positions.

by ignoring those layers of abstraction on top of 9p it looks like 9p
can provide for some kind of easy magic solutions. but that's just
because 9p is simple and doesn't do much at all, not much magic
either. impossible.