* [9fans] Installing from the live environment
@ 2013-08-04 22:37 Alex Jordan
From: Alex Jordan @ 2013-08-04 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi!
I'm installing Plan 9 on an Acer Aspire 5610-2273. When I boot the
Plan 9 CD and choose the boot option, it works perfectly (including
rio) but when I choose the install option, there's a kernel panic (at
least that's what it looks like to me). Therefore I'm wondering if
there's a way to start the installer from the live environment. Any
ideas?
I'm using an image from 7/30/13.
Thanks,
Alex Jordan

* Re: [9fans] Installing from the live environment
@ 2013-08-05  0:11 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-08-05  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Aug  4 18:38:36 EDT 2013, alexander3223098@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm installing Plan 9 on an Acer Aspire 5610-2273. When I boot the
> Plan 9 CD and choose the boot option, it works perfectly (including
> rio) but when I choose the install option, there's a kernel panic (at
> least that's what it looks like to me). Therefore I'm wondering if
> there's a way to start the installer from the live environment. Any
> ideas?
> I'm using an image from 7/30/13.

i think you have three options.
1.  certainly.  there's nothing magic about the installer.  the steps are
in broad terms
- prepare the disk with the proper partions, etc.
- create the boot 9fat.  fill with a boot loader, plan9.ini and kernel
- create the file system you wish to use
- copy the files from the cd to the newly minted fs.
- if you've done a few nonstandard things, you may need
to also build a new kernel.

the instructions for these things should be covered in booting(8),
prep(8), fdisk(8), format(8).

2.  you could try the 9atom cd.

3.  richard miller's sd image for the rasberry pi "just works".  that
might be the easiest way to bootstrap your environment.  building
a pc from a raspberry pi would be easier than starting from scratch.

by the way, any votes for a raspberry pi install/hack session at iwp9?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Installing from the live environment
@ 2013-08-05  4:29 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2013-08-05  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm using an image from 7/30/13.

This issue has been fixed. Please download a current CD image.

--
David du Colombier