On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 19:57 Lucio De Re wrote: > On 12/6/20, cigar562hfsp952fans@icebubble.org > wrote: > > Lucio De Re writes: > > > >> But do we want a flock of 9front-wielding droids flooding the 9fans > >> mailing list? > > > > Good point. [ ... ] Maybe we should keep Plan 9 a secret. ;) > > Well, that's one way of spreading it, yes. > > > > It would be nice if there was some way to translate between technology > > intended for idiots and technology intended for experts. Imagine if, > > for example, every Android app automatically exported its functionality > > over 9P. The cell phone idiots would have all their flashy toasts and > > swipes, but the apps would still be usable by command line nerds. > > > I like that idea. Might not be as far-fetched as it may seem at a > glance: surely, a human organism could be "generated" from a simpler > DNA than the present one (merged chromosome-2 in humans suggests I'm > not wrong, but I rate rank amateur regarding genetics), if one removes > all the twists and turns of evolution from it. The same may be > possible with, say, Linux. Much less so with Plan 9, so a deep, > enlightened comparison should be instructive. Something like Lion's or > Nemo's Commentaries, maybe as a black room redevelopment as was done > with the IBM PC BIOS. Or as a brand new mathematical theory of > Information. > > [ ... ] > > That sounds like a variant of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis (which applies > > to natural languages) as applied to computer languages. > > > Thanks, I need to look that one up. As a very under-educated, remote > "scholar", such nuggets only reach me by accident. But seSotho is the > local "vernacular", one of nine "official" African ("tribal" is close > to the truth) languages in this country. I cannot fathom what kind of > hoops people taught in these languages need to go through to > comprehend modern science. I find my native Italian pretty close to Let's not overemphasize sapir-whorf. Many folks taught primarily in English find modern science impossible to understand. And SW ends up being a vector for beguiled racism. --dho > stultifying when technology is involved. Poetic, certainly, emotional, > definitely, good for songs, but below inadequate, as compared to > English to express scientific and technological concepts, but that > used to be until quite recently, German's role, too. I guess we have > to thank the Yanks for shifting that, or the Yanks have to thank the > colonising Brits for beating the French. > > Twists and turns, indeed. > > > Pascal has pointers, too, and they make alot more sense than pointers in > > C. > > > Not to me, they don't. They do belong in C, which is a partially > successful, glorified assembler, not a programming language. Partially > successful as applied to being an assembler. No one can deny C's > success in getting computers to do what is demanded of them. But the > key is that we build computers to do what we want, not what we ask and > C allows that in spades, by making us think like the machines. Hm, > more accurately, forcing us to model the target automaton in our head. > Solving problems, seems to me, ought to ignore the target instruction > set as long as possible. > > It's tempting to think of human relationships, which also pretty much > rely on assumptions rather than statements - I presume that "proving" > the validity of code in this sense may mean simply removing all kinds > of "lies" that lurk in the model it is meant to reproduce > (simplistically, of course). > > Lucio. > > PS: Rambling, as usual. It helps me thinking, my hope is that it will > be confirmed or denied by the "crowd" so I can move on from there. ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T3fd028fcf2eeb24c-M520449ab9fec573baf32cfb7 Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription