To add to the previous comments, I'm a huge fan of Nemo's “Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions”: https://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf It's just a brilliant guide to finding your way around the system, and doing some programming in it, especially if you're not a kernel-head and talk of "ring 0" makes your brain hurt. Not that my being a huge fan of anything of anything is in general a recommendation, but in this case I'm right. On 10 September 2016 at 07:36, Sergey Zhilkin wrote: > 5 cents from me, as I'm fan of Nemo's writings (and code also) link to his > papers https://lsub.org/who/nemo/papers.html > > 2016-09-09 18:54 GMT+03:00 Brantley Coile : > >> I’ve been reading Nemo’s “Notes on the Plan 9 3rd edition Kernel Source” >> after a number of years. Three things struck me on this reading of what is >> a great and much appreciated work. First, is what a good job Francisco did >> with this work. Even though he never finished it, having been overtaking, I >> think, by the 4th edition, it is a very good introduction to an operating >> system suitable for instruction in a undergraduate or graduate class in >> operating systems. I, fortunately, don’t have to teach, but if I did, I >> would certainly use the work. >> >> Second, I’m struck by how much larger the system had grown by the time >> Nemo wrote the commentary. I had the good fortune to read John Lion’s >> commentary on Plan 9 during my brief tenure at Bell Labs in 1990. If I >> remember right, the kernel I was using was bout 25,000 lines. The first >> version I used outside the Labs was the 2nd edition it weighs in at a hefty >> 39,000 lines. The current system I’m running, the 32 bit one, not the 64 >> bit one, is 140,000 lines. I’m not sure the size of the 3rd edition, but >> the growth is interesting. >> >> The third thing that struct me is the changes in the Intel architecture >> since the original PC based port. The first Plan 9 for PC ran on AT&T 386 >> machines in the 1990’s, if I remember right. Those were the days of ISA and >> EISA and before PCI made it’s plug-and-play appearance on the scene. It >> seems that while the PC stuff has kept up with most of the many changes in >> the Intel hardware platform over the years, there is still some cruft from >> the old days. >> >> All very interesting to think about. I highly recommend Nemo’s book. >> Here’s a link to it. >> >> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.75. >> 5409&rep=rep1&type=pdf >> >> Brantley Coile >> bwc@coraid.com >> http://coraid.com >> >> >> > > > -- > С наилучшими пожеланиями > Жилкин Сергей > With best regards > Zhilkin Sergey >