Well, the meaning of the word "ilk" has always puzzled me. As in "Sir Robert Pike of that Ilk". But then I'm not Scottish. Or Scotch, whichever is correct. Me, I still lend a fraction of an ear to this group in the increasingly vain hope of learning something. Personally, I don't use Plan9, or even p9p, to get stuff done. I just like to look at the code from time to time. I'm with Carmack on Plan9 circa 1997: " It has an achingly elegant internal structure, but a user interface that has been asleep for the past decade." Add a couple of decades to that. Also, don't be mean to Skip! On 1 September 2016 at 09:36, stanley lieber wrote: > Skip Tavakkolian wrote: > > >On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:43 AM stanley lieber wrote: > > > >> Steven Stallion wrote: > >> > >> >On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Kurt H Maier > >wrote: > >> >> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 10:52:31PM -0700, Skip Tavakkolian wrote: > >> >>> > plan 9 as more than a masturbatory aid. > >> >>> > >> >>> put up or shut up: > >> >> ... > >> >> Congratulations on your accomplishments! > >> > > >> >% fn ck { grep $* /n/sources/patch/*/email > >/n/sources/patch/^(applied > >> >maybe saved sorry)^/*/email >[2]/dev/null |wc -l} > >> >% ck sstallion@gmail.com > >> > 28 > >> >% ck khm@sciops.net > >> > 0 > >> > > >> >Perhaps it's better to be known for the occasional masturbatory > >> >session than for being an incorrigible troll. > >> > > >> >Steve > >> > >> What's incorrigible is the way you people consistently reply to > >questions > >> from newbs with claims that it is trivial to do various tasks on Plan > >9 > >> without ever quite revealing that 1.) it isn't, and 2.) you aren't > >really > >> referring to the task they suggested, anyway. Skip does this, Every. > >> Single. Time. What is the point? > >> > > > >you're assuming a person who is new to Plan 9, is new to computing, > >system > >admin or programming. > > > >easy means: "no different than setting up a cpu once you've configured > >your > >fs and auth". adding entries for 8 rpi's in /lib/ndb/local and > >/cfg/pxe is > >as easy as cutting and pasting after the first one. they all run the > >same > >kernel. > > > >please take the hyperbole down a bit or provide instances for what you > >claim i did. the internet has a long memory; http links would be > >sufficient. > > > >regarding pi cluster, it was related to a work-in-progress i talked > >about > >at IWP9 2010. i've shared as much detail as i could. > > > > > >> What do you use that rpi "cluster" for, Skip? Do you mean to imply > >some > >> the availability of some facility for process migration? You know > >none > >> exists. > >> > >> The latest amusing evolution is a parade of replies from the usual > >> suspects where it's never quite clear which of them are promoting or > >> denigrating the degraded web-centric nature of modern computing. > >First > >> various ribbons and medals associated with historic Plan 9 campaigns > >are > >> displayed and then the same noble campaigners suggest that Plan 9 > >users are > >> cave men clinging to stone tools. I think the quips are so clever > >precisely > >> because their target is indeterminate. Great, you're funny, but > >again, what > >> is the point? > >> > >> How does any of this clarify matters for interested newbs? > >> > >> My personal favorite aspect of this tiresome dance is the eventual > >> denunciation of trolls. Here, in the spiritual home of Mark V Shaney! > >> > >> The problem is not trolling. The problem is low to medium quality > >> trolling, performed by armchair quarterbacks who want credit for > >being Plan > >> 9 Gandalfs but who are unwilling to provide the simple service of > >speaking > >> in words that make sense. Mothra forbid any should cast aspersions > >upon the > >> sacred world wide web, > >> bringer of the paycheck and dresser of the tongue. > >> > > > >and yet, it is you and your ilk who claim the mantle of the true > >keepers of > >the faith, beating back the evildoers. > > > > > >> > >> Kurt provides free hosting for the 9front mercurial repository, after > >> Google found better things to do with their time. Thanks, Kurt. > >> > >> sl > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > "your ilk" > > What does that mean, exactly, Skip? > > http://fqa.9front.org > > What I say is that Plan 9 runs on my computer and I use it to do the > things I use computers for. Documentation of the hows and whys can be found > at the URL above. 9fans manage to consistently make fun of this idea while > somehow simultaneously retaining an incredibly easily offended sense of > ownership over anything mentioned on 9fans since 1993. Which is the real > you? And why do quips become verboten only after you've contributed the > quips you wanted to contribute? > > It's not so much keeping the flame as it is simply wanting to run the > software to actually do things, and realizing that waiting for the last > remaining Bell Labs staff working on Plan 9 to jump ship is a poor strategy > for keeping the OS alive. We forked, and the OS lives. > > Oblique references to a talk given six years ago about a project the > details of which you can't reveal publicly is a good example of what I'm > describing in this thread. What does this innuendo illuminate? Who does it > help? Why even mention it when you can't elaborate? And this is what you > dangle just over the heads of newbs? How about providing instead actual > advice on how to get the OS to do something useful? > > The best part about your challenge to produce links is that the 9fans web > archive has been offline for close to a year. People objected when I made > the claim 9fans quit bothering with Plan 9, but the status quo leans > farther and farther away from it with each passing year. Alcatel-Lucent had > to be pestered on Twitter just to get the sources machine back online. > > sl > > > >