* [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-20 15:31 yakkuliste
From: yakkuliste @ 2022-01-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I'm trying to install 9legacy on a ThinkPad X60. I'm running 9front on another machine, but I would like to explore 9legacy (or vanilla Plan 9) more thoroughly.

I've managed to serve 9legacy from a USB drive, however, any changes are obviously lost whenever I reboot. I don't receive any install prompt on boot to install the OS to the internal hard drive. It recognises disks sdB0 and sdB1, but I'm only asked whether to start a terminal or cpu kernel or to do it manually. I've seen in various places (like here <https://0x783czar.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/1-install-boot.jpg>) that booting from CD gives an option to install from CD. Terminal option (default selection) works, cpu doesn't and I couldn't find any useful information to even attempt it manually. Would it be wise to boot a terminal kernel and dd the image from the USB over to the hard drive? This may be outright ludicrous, so please excuse my naiveness.

I've also tried to boot it from a CD, but I always get stuck at the 'Boot from:' prompt after receiving the following error, so I don't even get to a startup menu:

[...]
disks: sdC0
trying sdC0...dosinit: can't open #S/sdC0/9fat
dosinit #S/sdC0/9fat failed
Here it seems to only recognise the internal hard drive (sdC0). I've encountered the same problem when installing vanilla Plan 9 from Bell Labs, but none of the suggestions in the Plan 9 troubleshooting guide work.

Has anyone encountered similar problems before or any ideas for how I could resolve this issue? Thank you!

--yakku

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21  5:52 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2022-01-21  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I can help you, but right now is a bad moment, maybe nag me
over the weekend in private mail? I am running 9front on a T61 I
acquired specifically, but I did actually install 9legacy and your
problem seems familiar enough that I can at least compare notes with
you.

Lucio.

PS: your message landed in SPAM, I'm not sure why GMail felt it ought
to do that.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 58 653 1433
Cell: +27 83 251 5824

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21 10:34 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2022-01-21 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've also tried to boot it from a CD, but I always get stuck at the 'Boot from:' prompt

Try sdC0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
And local!/boot/bzroot for the root filesystem prompt.

If your hard drive is configured in AHCI mode by the BIOS, it
should be seen as sdE0. If it's in ATA compatibility mode, it
should be sdC0 and the CD might be seen as sdD0.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21 11:34   ` yakkuliste via 9fans
From: yakkuliste via 9fans @ 2022-01-21 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Lucio & Richard.

I've tried to boot via CD again (mind it's from a USB CD drive
in case that makes any difference), but so far no success:

PBSR...0000 F5FD 0000 00B2
Plan 9 from Bell Labspcirouting: PCI.0.31.2 at pin 2 link 96 irq 11
disk loader

cpu0:  1662Mhz GenuineIntel P6 (cpuid: AX 0x06EC DX 0xBFE9FBFF)
ELCR: 0800
497M memory: 497M kernel data, 0M user, 18M swap
found partition #S/sdC0/data 0 123,091,920
disks: sdC0
trying sdC0...dosinit: can't open #S/sdC0/9fat
dosinit #S/sdC0/9fat failed

Boot from: sdC0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
dosinit: can't open #S/sdC0/cdboot
dosinit #S/sdC0/cdboot failed

Boot from: sdD0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz
dosinit: can't open #S/sdD0/cdboot
dosinit #S/sdD0/cdboot failed

Boot from: local!/boot/bzroot
can't open partition #S/local//boot/bzroot

@ 2022-01-21 13:20     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2022-01-21 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've tried to boot via CD again (mind it's from a USB CD drive
> in case that makes any difference)

Yes, that makes a difference. It may appear as sdB0 or sdB1.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21 13:33     ` yakkuliste via 9fans
From: yakkuliste via 9fans @ 2022-01-21 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, 21 January 2022, at 1:21 PM, Richard Miller wrote:
> It may appear as sdB0 or sdB1.

Sorry that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried sdB0, sdB1,
sdC0, sdC1, sdD0, sdD1, sdE0, sdE1 . . . but the issue persists.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21 14:01       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2022-01-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sorry that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried sdB0, sdB1,
> sdC0, sdC1, sdD0, sdD1, sdE0, sdE1 . . . but the issue persists.

That appears to be a dead end.

To answer your earlier question, you could use dd (or pump(1)) to
copy the usb image to your hard drive, if you're happy to sacrifice
all the existing partitions on the hard drive. Or, for more control over
the final configuration, you could create an empty fossil partition on the
hard drive and copy the usb filesystem contents to it, using mkfs | mkext
or replica/pull.

Alternatively, I have an experimental 4e/9legacy installer which runs from
a usb flash drive instead of a cdrom. It's been used successfully on an
X230 and an X60s. If you get in touch with me off-list, I can give you a
copy and some instructions.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-21 14:01       ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-01-21 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The following works on 9front:
Escape to an rc shell by typing !rc at the boot prompt.
Then type ls '#S'
This will list all devices the storage device, sd(3), sees which
includes CD/DVD, ATA, SATA, and SCSI drives.
You can also run cat '#S/sdctl' which will give you more information
about the controllers.
See: http://man.postnix.pw/plan_9/3/sd

@ 2022-01-21 16:47         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2022-01-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello Yakku -

I couldn't reply to the email you sent me off-list.
The returned error was "User unknown in virtual mailbox table"

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-22 15:31         ` yakkuliste via 9fans
From: yakkuliste via 9fans @ 2022-01-22 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday, 21 January 2022, at 2:02 PM, Thaddeus Woskowiak wrote:
> Escape to an rc shell by typing !rc at the boot prompt.

Thanks for the pointer Thaddeus. I've tried, but it doesn't work at boot prompt in 9legacy. It only works in parts of the install script.

On Friday, 21 January 2022, at 2:01 PM, Richard Miller wrote:
> I can give you a
copy and some instructions.

Thank you very much Richard, as per off-list email, it worked a treat on the X60s. Let's see if we can scrub up the X60 and get it going there as well.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-22 16:07           ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-01-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 10:32 AM yakkuliste via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 January 2022, at 2:02 PM, Thaddeus Woskowiak wrote:
>
> Escape to an rc shell by typing !rc at the boot prompt.
>

> Thanks for the pointer Thaddeus. I've tried, but it doesn't work at boot prompt in 9legacy. It only works in parts of the install script.

Hmmmm. That is disappointing. I don't have a 9legacy install at the
moment, but can someone confirm if !rc was inherited from plan 9 or
unique to 9front?

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-23  2:17             ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2022-01-23  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why not mount the .iso and scrap the project... worked for me and @#m is
always a good prefix
to try... its all in code boyz (& girlz...)... all in code...
and boot it off your game machine? there are a myriad of games machines
now... and most of them
work quite successfully... a lot of them were built in countries around the
world.... /c:2022(i think???)

@ 2022-01-23  8:27             ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2022-01-23  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On 22 Jan 2022, at 17:08, Thaddeus Woskowiak <tswoskowiak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 10:32 AM yakkuliste via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 21 January 2022, at 2:02 PM, Thaddeus Woskowiak wrote:
>>
>> Escape to an rc shell by typing !rc at the boot prompt.
>>

>> Thanks for the pointer Thaddeus. I've tried, but it doesn't work at boot prompt in 9legacy. It only works in parts of the install script.
>
> Hmmmm. That is disappointing. I don't have a 9legacy install at the
> moment, but can someone confirm if !rc was inherited from plan 9 or
> unique to 9front?

!rc (and the rest of the boot) is one of the first things implemented uniquely by 9front.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-23 10:43               ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2022-01-23 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> !rc (and the rest of the boot) is one of the first things implemented uniquely by 9front.

I think there's a little bit of confusion about different stages of booting.

The 9boot program loads the kernel. The original Plan 9 9boot is driven
by configuration variables in a plan9.ini file. Cinap's rewritten 9boot
adds the capability of interactively changing configuration variables from
the console before loading the kernel. That's really useful, especially
when experimenting with new kernels or new hardware. But 9boot does not
contain a shell or a built-in file system, so it doesn't allow you to
type !rc and get an interactive shell.

Once the kernel is loaded, the first thing it does is to execute the
command /boot/boot from a small root filesystem which is built into the
kernel. The main job of /boot/boot is to attach to the real root filesystem
(on a local device or from a network server) and execute /$cputype/init to
start the system. Historically the usual case is for /boot/boot to
be a specialised program built from C source in /sys/src/9/boot. But it
has always been possible to configure a kernel with a shell script as
/boot/boot - see for example /sys/lib/sysconfig/ppc/boot for the PowerPC,
or /sys/src/9/bcm/bootwifi.rc for a Raspberry Pi accessing its root file
server via wifi.

So, using a shell script as /boot/boot is not unique to 9front. But
with 9front, it has become the default. This means there's always a
shell inside the kernel, along with a few commands, ready to use
interactively when !rc is invoked - after the kernel is loaded, but
before the final root filesystem is attached.

The kernel on the 9legacy install CD doesn't have a shell script as
/boot/boot with the ability to invoke !rc. Perhaps it should. But that
wouldn't have helped in this case. Yakku was stuck at the 'Boot from'
prompt within /9boot, unable to find a kernel to boot.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-23 14:37                 ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2022-01-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hello mein names ist __insert name here___

this is not a 9front mailing list
ps: this is ...
when it was setup there was no 9front
9front is a breakaway republic designed to initially enhance P.8.72...
pps: the problem with break-away republic is that they may initially
have the best of intentions but soon realise that they may not
have the resources... a bit like my friend sam... /c:2022Jan23

@ 2022-01-24  0:59                 ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-01-24  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 5:44 AM Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > !rc (and the rest of the boot) is one of the first things implemented uniquely by 9front.
>
> I think there's a little bit of confusion about different stages of booting.
>
> The 9boot program loads the kernel. The original Plan 9 9boot is driven
> by configuration variables in a plan9.ini file. Cinap's rewritten 9boot
> adds the capability of interactively changing configuration variables from
> the console before loading the kernel. That's really useful, especially
> when experimenting with new kernels or new hardware. But 9boot does not
> contain a shell or a built-in file system, so it doesn't allow you to
> type !rc and get an interactive shell.
>
> Once the kernel is loaded, the first thing it does is to execute the
> command /boot/boot from a small root filesystem which is built into the
> kernel. The main job of /boot/boot is to attach to the real root filesystem
> (on a local device or from a network server) and execute /$cputype/init to
> start the system. Historically the usual case is for /boot/boot to
> be a specialised program built from C source in /sys/src/9/boot. But it
> has always been possible to configure a kernel with a shell script as
> /boot/boot - see for example /sys/lib/sysconfig/ppc/boot for the PowerPC,
> or /sys/src/9/bcm/bootwifi.rc for a Raspberry Pi accessing its root file
> server via wifi.
>
> So, using a shell script as /boot/boot is not unique to 9front. But
> with 9front, it has become the default. This means there's always a
> shell inside the kernel, along with a few commands, ready to use
> interactively when !rc is invoked - after the kernel is loaded, but
> before the final root filesystem is attached.
>
> The kernel on the 9legacy install CD doesn't have a shell script as
> /boot/boot with the ability to invoke !rc. Perhaps it should. But that
> wouldn't have helped in this case. Yakku was stuck at the 'Boot from'
> prompt within /9boot, unable to find a kernel to boot.

Richard,
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I misread the part about no
kernel and thought we made it to the boot prompt and could not figure
out the disk name. Mea culpa.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-24  3:23                   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2022-01-24  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/23/22, Conor Williams <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello mein names ist __insert name here___
>
> this is not a 9front mailing list
It isn't, but unless *all* 9front users and fans (need not be one
homogenous group) choose to stop using this list, I have no objection
to assisting them or learn from them. I don't think I'm alone in this.

> ps: this is ...
> when it was setup there was no 9front
> 9front is a breakaway republic designed to initially enhance P.8.72...
> pps: the problem with break-away republic is that they may initially
> have the best of intentions but soon realise that they may not
> have the resources... a bit like my friend sam... /c:2022Jan23

Thank you for the history lesson and the political savvy. Can we get
on with the main topic, now?

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-24  5:46                     ` adr
From: adr @ 2022-01-24  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, Lucio De Re wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 05:23:26 +0200
> From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
> To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
> Subject: Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
>
> On 1/23/22, Conor Williams <conor.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hello mein names ist __insert name here___
>>
>> this is not a 9front mailing list
> It isn't, but unless *all* 9front users and fans (need not be one
> homogenous group) choose to stop using this list, I have no objection
> to assisting them or learn from them. I don't think I'm alone in this.
>
>> ps: this is ...
>> when it was setup there was no 9front
>> 9front is a breakaway republic designed to initially enhance P.8.72...
>> pps: the problem with break-away republic is that they may initially
>> have the best of intentions but soon realise that they may not
>> have the resources... a bit like my friend sam... /c:2022Jan23
>>
> Thank you for the history lesson and the political savvy. Can we get
> on with the main topic, now?
>
> Lucio.

You are aware that you are talking to the most stupidly writen bot
in the history of the _I've_no_life_some_one_pay_me_attention_please_
retards?

There is an episode of South Park when some poor kid get
all exited because one person makes him a friend on facebook. You
made some really lonely sad piece of Mr. Hankey happy today.

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-24 10:31                       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2022-01-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/24/22, adr <adr@sdf.org> wrote:

> You are aware that you are talking to the most stupidly writen bot
> in the history of the _I've_no_life_some_one_pay_me_attention_please_
> retards?
>
> There is an episode of South Park when some poor kid get
> all exited because one person makes him a friend on facebook. You
> made some really lonely sad piece of Mr. Hankey happy today.

We add happiness where we can, I guess. Machines have a right to the
occasional belly laugh too.

Plus, maybe there are Noddy points one scores against the day AIs come for us?

Lucio :-)

* Re: [9fans] Problems installing 9legacy on bare metal (Thinkpad X60)
@ 2022-01-27 12:47                         ` yakkuliste via 9fans
From: yakkuliste via 9fans @ 2022-01-27 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans