* [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 22:04 matthpmoreira
From: matthpmoreira @ 2022-01-17 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello. I just found out about Plan 9 and I'm trying to understand more. I see that 9front is often called a fork of Plan 9. However, reading the FAQ and the 9front wiki, the authors seem to often "conflate" both. I mean, I don't really understand what's written, but it's like the instructions for some stuff isn't really meant specifically for 9front, but rather Plan 9. Besides that, reading what's different in 9front from Plan 9, it mentions drivers and programs. That makes me think that while 9front is called a fork, it doesn't really differ from Plan 9 in how it works and is structured, much like a Linux distro may change some things about the Linux kernel, but in essence they're the same and easily interoperable. Is that right?

I know it's subjective, but a fork implies to me that the goals and methods of the forking developers are different from the original software, maybe eventually leading to a completely contrasted software, with different environment, tools and inner workings, like Android is to Linux. That's why I wanted to clarify this question.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 22:41 ` Humm
From: Humm @ 2022-01-17 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth matthpmoreira@gmail.com:
>Hello. I just found out about Plan 9 and I'm trying to understand more.
>I see that 9front is often called a fork of Plan 9. However, reading
>the FAQ and the 9front wiki, the authors seem to often "conflate" both.
>I mean, I don't really understand what's written, but it's like the
>instructions for some stuff isn't really meant specifically for 9front,
>but rather Plan 9.

Much stuff works the same in both.

>Besides that, reading what's different in 9front from Plan 9, it
>mentions drivers and programs. That makes me think that while 9front is
>called a fork, it doesn't really differ from Plan 9 in how it works and
>is structured,

Both have sources in /sys/src.  On top of that, much of the 9front
source descents from Plan 9.  And indeed, 9front is close to Plan 9 in
how it can be used.

>much like a Linux distro may change some things about the Linux kernel,
>but in essence they're the same and easily interoperable. Is that
>right?

A Linux distro seldom changes “some things” about the kernel.  A custom
configuration maybe, but little major and nothing that stops you from
using a custom kernel or a kernel compiled on and for a different
operating system (distro, if you will).  That’s the one piece of
software they all share: Linux.

An operating system using Linux just uses upstream Linux or at least
keeps up with upstream, if it has its own /fork/.  9front doesn’t have
an upstream with which it could keep up.  Plan 9 is dead and 9front is
alive.

>I know it's subjective, but a fork implies to me that the goals and
>methods of the forking developers are different from the original
>software, maybe eventually leading to a completely contrasted software,
>with different environment, tools and inner workings, like Android is
>to Linux. That's why I wanted to clarify this question.

You keep mixing things up.  Android is not a fork of Linux.  A fork of
Linux by the Android project might be.  And that fork, albeit heavily
patched, still /has/ an upstream.

9front is a fork of Plan 9.  Plan 9 is an operating system; 9front is an
operating system.  9front will feel quite similar to Plan 9 in a lot of
ways.  Many tools and inner workings are the same (with bugfixes and
working on more hardware and also otherwise better).  You could argue
that the goals and methods of 9front are different from Plan 9, but that
has little to do with what constitutes a fork.

9front was forked off Plan 9, so it’s a fork.  Little about that is
subjective.

--
Humm

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 23:04 ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-01-17 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth matthpmoreira@gmail.com:
> I know it's subjective, but a fork implies to me that the goals and
> methods of the forking developers are different from the original
> software, maybe eventually leading to a completely contrasted
> software, with different environment, tools and inner workings, like
> Android is to Linux.  That's why I wanted to clarify this question.

More commonly, forks remain similar.

Xorg vs xfree86.
Libreoffice vs Openoffice
Mariadb vs MySQL
OpenBSD vs NetBSD
Blink vs Webkit
libav vs ffmpeg
etc, etc.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 23:18   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2022-01-17 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@Humm: I understand that Android isn't a fork of Linux, I meant to imply that although Android is argued to be a Linux distro, they have very different environments that can't easily interact with each other. I also know that the meaning of forking is objective, I meant that forking invokes the mentioned feelings in me, subjectively. I understand that Plan 9 is not being developed anymore, but the community seems to be centered around it rather than 9front. Therefore, I wondered if that's because 9front, despite being forked, intends to stay true to Plan 9, like Linux distros stay true to the Linux kernel despite small configurations, as you said, so that if other operational systems are forked from Plan 9, they are able to interoperate easily with 9front.

@ori: Those are examples of forked software that happened because of the discontinuation of the original software, right? At least most of them are. That's what 9front is to Plan 9, right? If so, thanks for the clarification.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 23:22     ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-01-17 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Matt <matthpmoreira@gmail.com>:
> @ori: Those are examples of forked software that happened because of the discontinuation of the original software, right?

No.

Most of the originals were around
after the fork, at least for a while.
Many of them are still around. In
some cases, it's the fork that didn't
make it.

Most forks are over disagreements
in process, people, or corporate
ownership.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 23:31     ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2022-01-17 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

But that's why 9front was forked, right? They say it on their FAQ. Even though Plan 9 isn't being developed anymore, doesn't the fork cause worry that one day they become too different, especially since the community is rather centered around Plan 9 rather than 9front? Or is the community actively trying to make 9front be accepted as the official continuation of Plan 9?

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-17 23:36       ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2022-01-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:31 AM Matt <matthpmoreira@gmail.com> wrote:

> But that's why 9front was forked, right? They say it on their FAQ. Even though Plan 9 isn't being developed anymore, doesn't the fork cause worry that one day they become too different, especially since the community is rather centered around Plan 9 rather than 9front? Or is the community actively trying to make 9front be accepted as the official continuation of Plan 9?

I'm afraid you got it wrong. Community is mostly centered around
9front. One of the reasons is that it actually works and is still
being developed and used by many. Plan 9 is dead, 9front lives on.
There is also software developed outside of 9front git repo, by people
who use 9front: http://only9fans.com
Whether some "secret community" decides to "accept" (or not) 9front as
"official" doesn't matter.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18  0:20       ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-01-18  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 6:32 PM Matt <matthpmoreira@gmail.com> wrote:

> But that's why 9front was forked, right? They say it on their FAQ. Even though Plan 9 isn't being developed anymore, doesn't the fork cause worry that one day they become too different, especially since the community is rather centered around Plan 9 rather than 9front? Or is the community actively trying to make 9front be accepted as the official continuation of Plan 9?
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

All wrong. From my perspective 9front is plan 9 from the future
compared to today's plan 9. 9front development moves at a much faster
pace thanks to adopting tools like mercurial in the past and now git.
That enables devs who are passionate about moving plan 9 forward
commit access using tools they, and most of today's developers are
already intimate with. It has virtualization, modern encryption,
cleaned up pci code, rc fixes, boot clean up, and so much more.

The mailing list is very active and crawling with devs eager to review
and apply fixes. It has a lot of enthusiastic energy behind it and
keeps the core philosophy of plan 9 alive. This has attracted many
wonderful and talented devs who would have otherwise stumbled with the
old defaults of legacy.

Personally, I struggled with plan 9 until finding 9front. I run a CPU
server at home 24/7 and it's been running reliably for years. I then
netboot or tcp boot everything else. I love working with this
operating system.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18  0:29         ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2022-01-18  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Monday, January 17, 2022, at 8:36 PM, Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir wrote:
> I'm afraid you got it wrong. Community is mostly centered around
9front. One of the reasons is that it actually works and is still
being developed and used by many. Plan 9 is dead, 9front lives on.
There is also software developed outside of 9front git repo, by people
who use 9front: http://only9fans.com Whether some "secret community" decides to "accept" (or not) 9front as
"official" doesn't matter.
I see. Now that I look at it, 9fans its more similar to 9front than Plan 9 indeed. My confusion arose from the description being "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs". Besides that, the subreddit is r/plan9, and people seem to talk more often about Plan 9 itself than 9front. Thanks for clearing it up.

On Monday, January 17, 2022, at 9:21 PM, Thaddeus Woskowiak wrote:
> All wrong. From my perspective 9front is plan 9 from the future
> compared to today's plan 9. 9front development moves at a much faster
> pace thanks to adopting tools like mercurial in the past and now git.
> That enables devs who are passionate about moving plan 9 forward
> commit access using tools they, and most of today's developers are
> already intimate with. It has virtualization, modern encryption,
> cleaned up pci code, rc fixes, boot clean up, and so much more.
>
> The mailing list is very active and crawling with devs eager to review
> and apply fixes. It has a lot of enthusiastic energy behind it and
> keeps the core philosophy of plan 9 alive. This has attracted many
> wonderful and talented devs who would have otherwise stumbled with the
> old defaults of legacy.
>
> Personally, I struggled with plan 9 until finding 9front. I run a CPU
> server at home 24/7 and it's been running reliably for years. I then
> netboot or tcp boot everything else. I love working with this
> operating system.
That's really great. I'm also interested and quite enthusiastic about working with 9front. Although, I'd have more chances of winning a competition for the worst developer... Thanks for your help.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18  0:33           ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-01-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if there's any branch of plan9 missing in 9front please just send the
patch or a reminder.

@ 2022-01-18  0:47         ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-18  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:36:19AM +0100, Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir wrote:

> I'm afraid you got it wrong. Community is mostly centered around
> 9front. One of the reasons is that it actually works and is still
> being developed and used by many. Plan 9 is dead, 9front lives on.
> There is also software developed outside of 9front git repo, by people
> who use 9front: http://only9fans.com
> Whether some "secret community" decides to "accept" (or not) 9front as
> "official" doesn't matter.

And part of the reason it doesn't matter is that there ARE active users
of non-9front Plan 9, and they all have reasons (some unique, some
shared) to do things that way, and when good code shows up, everyone
benefits, no matter which flavor of Plan 9 they wrote it for.
Regardless of other interplay, that shared interest is what makes up a
community, and there doesn't need to be complete uniformity of thought
for that to be both real and valuable.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18  4:38         ` Andrew Back
From: Andrew Back @ 2022-01-18  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 17/01/2022 23:36, Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 12:31 AM Matt <matthpmoreira@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But that's why 9front was forked, right? They say it on their FAQ. Even though Plan 9 isn't being developed anymore, doesn't the fork cause worry that one day they become too different, especially since the community is rather centered around Plan 9 rather than 9front? Or is the community actively trying to make 9front be accepted as the official continuation of Plan 9?
>
> I'm afraid you got it wrong. Community is mostly centered around
> 9front. One of the reasons is that it actually works and is still
> being developed and used by many. Plan 9 is dead, 9front lives on.

The Raspberry Pi port of Plan 9 would appear to be alive and well and
likewise I hear of porting to more recent architectures, which is
similarly work being done outside of 9front.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 16:22           ` Humm
From: Humm @ 2022-01-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Matt:
>I see. Now that I look at it, 9fans its more similar to 9front than
>Plan 9 indeed. My confusion arose from the description being "Fans of
>the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs". Besides that, the subreddit is r/plan9,
>and people seem to talk more often about Plan 9 itself than 9front.
>Thanks for clearing it up.

The subreddit, except there is no “the subreddit”.  Just another place
where people who don’t know Plan 9 ask people who don’t know Plan 9
about whatever they currently think Plan 9 is.

In the wild, I see more people talking about plan9port than about Plan 9.

--
Humm

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 18:54             ` Antonio Barrones
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Antonio Barrones @ 2022-01-18 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I understand that Android isn't a fork of Linux, I meant to imply that although Android is argued to be a Linux distro
Linux distros are not only "Linux", they are GNU/Linux.  Linux is only the kernel of a GNU/Linux system (a distro). Android is not a distro because they don't have GNU, but Android is "Linux" because it has Linux as kernel.
> I understand that Plan 9 is not being developed anymore,
It is not developed anymore in Bell Labs, but many of the original developers are part of the Plan9 Foundation and they are promoting it in different ways: https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html So I would not say that it "is not being developed anymore".

Antonio B.

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 19:55               ` Humm
From: Humm @ 2022-01-18 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Antonio Barrones:
>Linux distros are not only "Linux", they are GNU/Linux.  Linux is only
>the kernel of a GNU/Linux system (a distro). Android is not a distro
>because they don't have GNU, but Android is "Linux" because it has
>Linux as kernel.

Linux distros are not only Linux, they are whatever other software they
consist of and Linux.  Some of that might be developed under the
umbrella of the GNU project, much of it likely isn’t.  The term
“GNU/Linux” is garbage.

Android is yet another operating system using Linux.  It seldom getting
called “Linux distro” stems from it being used very differently (Java
hell) and perhaps from how hard it is to see its Unix-like-ness.  That
has nothing to do with how much of it is part of the GNU project.

>It is not developed anymore in Bell Labs, but many of the original
>developers are part of the Plan9 Foundation and they are promoting it
>in different ways: https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html So
>I would not say that it "is not being developed anymore".

Patches for Plan 9 exist.  Forks exist.  Yet, Plan 9 stays the exact
same.  Plan 9 with patches is Plan 9 with patches.  9front is 9front.
Plan 9 has a modification timestamp of 2015.

 From the little I see, the Plan 9 Foundation changes little there.
Plan 9, with a timestamp of 2015, now is licensed under an Expat
license.  And retains its timestamp.

So no, Plan 9 is not being developed anymore.

--
Humm

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 20:48               ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-01-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 01:54:02PM -0500, Antonio Barrones wrote:
> Linux distros are not only "Linux", they are GNU/Linux.  Linux is only the kernel of a GNU/Linux system (a distro). Android is not a distro because they don't have GNU, but Android is "Linux" because it has Linux as kernel.

Please keep FSF FUD off this list.  Alpine is a Linux distro and doesn't
rely on GNU.  There are, and always have been, several such.  Copyright
cultists riding on coattails notwithstanding, there isn't much point in
belaboring such terminology, since Plan 9 is not typically distributed
in modular packages, but as an integrated system, and GNU cruft doesn't
readily build on it anyway.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 22:16               ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2022-01-18 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022, at 03:54, Antonio Barrones wrote:
[snip]
>> I understand that Plan 9 is not being developed anymore,
> It is not developed anymore in Bell Labs, but many of the original
> developers are part of the Plan9 Foundation and they are promoting it
> in different ways: https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html So I
> would not say that it "is not being developed anymore".

The Plan 9 Foundation activities page (https://plan9foundation.org/activities.html) states, "Preparing for a new release, including patches".

Regards,
Vester "Vic" Thacker

* Re: [9fans] Despite being called a fork, is 9front similar to how Linux distros work?
@ 2022-01-18 22:59                 ` Duke Normandin
From: Duke Normandin @ 2022-01-18 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans