* [9fans] fossil+venti vs. cwfs - dealing with backups
@ 2018-04-16 23:15 Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2018-04-16 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What has kept me running fossil+venti is the ease of backing up the file
server.  Copying the venti arenas offsite is trivial.  And Geoff put
together glue to write sealed arenas to blu-ray as well.

I don't see any simple way to do that with cwfs*.  Or hjfs.  I am very
curious to know how the not-fossil/venti FS servers are backing up.
Share?

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti vs. cwfs - dealing with backups
@ 2018-04-17  2:15 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2018-04-17  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The easiest method with cwfs or Ken's is to keep track of the size of
the WORM - since everything is appended, it's fairly simple to copy
the set of blocks after each dump. It's been a few years since I've
done this, but it is just as reliable as venti, albeit less
convenient.