Agreed. There were a couple of surprises in sdata/sdide with some of the PIO timings. A bit of a tangeng, but a while back I switched my Plan 9 machines over to Atom and haven't looked back. The current configuration I use has a pair of D525 boards with 4GB of DDR3 and a small SATADOM for nvram/9fat. The file server has a couple of 2.5" trays I use for write cache and a StarTech.com PCIe 8-port serial card (patch/uart-ox). I've built close to 20 of these over the last couple of years, mostly as standalone console servers. I've had good luck with the OCZ's, though I avoid consumer grade drives like the plague. Obligatory picture attached. On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > I was running a really bastardized mix of old and new boot software, > > so it's quite possible I screwed up installing the correct MBR and > > boot loader. But it might also have been a problem with the BIOS or > > SATA controller on the motherboard -- it's a slightly ancient > > Supermicro Atom 1U, and it doesn't like SATA hard disks, either (it's > > currently talking to an IDE disk). I didn't have time to try 9atom. > > that sort of machine is 9atom's original raison d'être. > also there were some issues with ide in pio mode recently > fixed. (credit: stallion) you may still want to look at 9atom > even in ide mode. > > (i'm not absolving the drive. just saying that there are plan 9 > issues affecting your machine.) > > - erik > >