From: Riddler <riddler876@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Question about fossil
Date: Sun,  8 Jun 2014 00:49:28 +0100	[thread overview]

On 8 Jun 2014 00:19, "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net> wrote:

> sadly if fossil overflows it is terminal.
>
> having said this you can refresh your fossil from the last snapshot,
> so not everything has gone, but the rule is don't let fossil overflow.

Good to know.

> your venti size sounds very big. Perhaps you have a lot of media files,
> but remember that duplicate files are merged and take up only one file's
> worth of space (de-duplication is done on the files contents not on its
name.

> also all data is compressed so it takes less space.

I wasn't thinking "I would need a big venti", more  "I only need a small
fossil". My train of thought was because the fossil size is used to store
the unarchived files after which they can be gotten from venti that it
might be practical to only have the fossil be big enough to store the
maximal size of files that will change per day(snapshot interval).

I would struggle to change 16GB a day unless I'm backing up a VM so 64
seemed like it should accommodate any changes and still leave room for lots
of often used files to be kept there (if fossil thinks like that).

I realise there would be a delay as fossil realises it needs to fall back
on venti but I was thinking as they're the same PC and disk the delay would
be negligible.