* [9fans] Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS
@ 2013-03-09 19:10 Rubén Berenguel
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-03-09 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi everyone,

I'm trying (just for the sake of getting it to work!) to read my (imap)
mail via acme from plan9ports. I got the mail file server started in my
namespace (I can 9p ls mail and see my folders in INBOX for my work
account, but I can't get gmail to work... Probably needs TLS support and if
I understood correctly, plan9port does not have TLS yet.)

Problem is, if I middle-click on Mail in the main tag in Acme, I am greeted
by:

Mail: exit 1
No mail for ruben

ruben is my local user name, which is different from my imap login name.
Looks like Mail is executing the "mail" command instead of using Acme/Mail.
How can I get Acme/Mail to understand where to fetch mail? I thought it
would be automatic, getting it via the mail file server but looks like it
doesn't. Oh, I have the plumber (and factotum) also running, both seem to
be working correctly (at least I can plumb things and they work.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ruben Berenguel

* Re: [9fans] Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS
@ 2013-03-09 19:22 ` John Floren
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2013-03-09 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is just a guess, but what does your $PATH look like?

@ 2013-03-20  8:56 ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2013-03-20  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying (just for the sake of getting it to work!) to read my (imap) mail
> via acme from plan9ports. I got the mail file server started in my namespace
> (I can 9p ls mail and see my folders in INBOX for my work account, but I
> can't get gmail to work... Probably needs TLS support and if I understood
> correctly, plan9port does not have TLS yet.)

TLS is supported in plan9port's mailfs via stunnel, but it is quite
old version of stunnel - 3.x (I have stunnel 3.26). You should just
specify a flag -t for mailfs. It exellent works with gmail for me.

> Problem is, if I middle-click on Mail in the main tag in Acme, I am greeted
> by:
>
> Mail: exit 1
> No mail for ruben

I'm sure your 'Mail' is not plan9port's Mail.
Type 'type Mail' and you will find something like 'Mail is /usr/bin/Mail'
You should set a path to plan9port binares before $PATH or start Mail
via '9 Mail'

--
Best regards,
  santucco

* Re: [9fans] Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS
@ 2013-03-20 15:42 ` Steve McCoy
From: Steve McCoy @ 2013-03-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:56:42 AM UTC-4, Alexander Sychev wrote:

> I'm sure your 'Mail' is not plan9port's Mail.
>
> Type 'type Mail' and you will find something like 'Mail is /usr/bin/Mail'
>
> You should set a path to plan9port binares before $PATH or start Mail
>
> via '9 Mail'

This is the way to go. The filesystem on OSX is case-insensitive. What Rubén saw as /usr/bin/Mail and /usr/bin/mail are the same file.

Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk

* Re: [9fans] Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-03-20 17:52 ` Steve McCoy
From: Steve McCoy @ 2013-03-20 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:42:14 AM UTC-4, Steve McCoy wrote:
…

I don't know who that Dennis guy is, or why his info got added to my email. Could this be a side effect of using Google groups to reply?

[ Moderators note:

  Apologies.  The comp.os.plan9 is a moderated Newsgroup and
  articles need to be approved before being posted.  As moderator I
  forgot to remove my details before doing this in this case.  It
  has nothing to do with Google groups.  I must try harder :-( ]

* Re: [9fans] Acme/Mail with plan9ports in Mac OS
@ 2013-03-20 18:13   ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-03-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

:) mail groups have these fun side effects. Although I controlled my
/bin/Mail spurious program, the problem is I still can't get anything from
my gmail account:

mailfs -t imap.gmail.com
mailfs: imapconnect: Unknown error: 0

Since it is an unknown error, I can't really tell what may be going on.
Factotum is running supposedly with the correct credentials, the password
for it is correct, just in case I installed stunnel, and I have IMAP
activated in my gmail account. Out of ideas, will try again in the future.

Thanks everyone ;)

Ruben

@ 2013-03-10 11:12 Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-03-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)