Erik, quick question: how can I go about getting it into one of my USB drives (if possible a method without needing a working P9, because all I have are virtual machines and I think they are in my other computer) and testing some of my "I'd like P9 here but installing got f*ed up"? I think every time I have tried it something or other has either made it non boot, or pretty similar (plug, reboot, nothing, repeat) Thanks, Ruben On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:48 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > this isn't perfect, or complete, but there is a minimal > 64-bit and/or 386/pae usb boot environment here > http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/usbtest.bz2. it's only 10mb, > so it should be a quick download. the reason > for building this was to quickly debug a system that wouldn't > install, but it might be interesting to try out. > > a few random notes and gotchas: > > 0. with dhcp, one can get to get to the full distribution with: > ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns && 9fs atom > > 1. you will find the usb boot device @ /dev/sdu0, a loopback > device. > > 2. there is a bug in kfs (patched in 9atom; patch submitted to > sources) to be aware of. so be careful if using tools from > sources on 64-bit kernels. > > 3. finally, there's (by plan 9 standards) quite a bit of acpi support > in the 64-bit kernel. power events have been somewhat rashly > turned on, and may cause trouble. > > as always, i'd be interested in any reports of success or failure. > > - erik > >