I run a venti from plan9port under Linux at home. Sometimes, typically after a massive insert, I notice that venti reads and writes about 5 Mb/s on the index disk continuously. This continues long after the insert has finished, and there is a marked performance drop. I have never had the patience to wait more than 24 hours, but it seems to never stop. If I kill the venti and restart it, the problem goes away until I do massive inserts again. After the initial indexing, there is no index activity, and everything is back to normal. Has anyone observed similar behavior? Known bugs? Ole-Hj.