On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Stanley Lieber wrote: > "James A. Robinson" wrote: > > >So in a canonical installation the auth server mounts its root from the > >file server? > > > >On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM Stanley Lieber wrote: > > > >> The idea is that there is one file system shared by all the > >neighboring > >> systems. The canonical Plan 9 installation comprises one disk file > >server > >> and many diskless computing machines (auth servers, cpu servers, > >terminals). > >> > > Yes. You can arrange for hands-free booting by storing the same > authid/authdom/password in the nvram of both the file server and the auth > server. I usually boot the auth server from a 9fat partition or a USB key, > then tcp (actually, tls) mount the root file system from the file server. > > sl > > Is this the reason that it is actually possible to boot a combined auth/cpu/file server at all? I mean, the auth server stores /adm/keys on the file server, right? And normally you would need to authenticate yourself to attach to the file server, which would be kind of difficult, since it is the auth server that is trying to access the key file... Ole-Hj.