On 24 February 2012 11:13, Anthony Sorace wrote: > Folks: > The fine folks over at Google's Open Source Programs > Office have announced the 2012 edition of Summer of > Code. I intend to submit an application for Plan 9 to again > participate. I'd like your help in making this year a success. > > We had one major problem last year. Between Google's > decision to focus on bringing in a larger number of smaller > organizations and our own group's tendency to be pretty > hands-off on marketing, we got an abysmal showing in the > student application process. We got very few applications > (7, from memory), and only 3 of those (at best) were viable. > We were given two slots for student projects. > > This is bad for a few reasons. Obviously it means we > don't get as many people exposed to our code and our > community, we don't get as much work done, and we don't > have the opportunity to create new contributors, which is > the fundamental point of GSoC. It also makes our numbers > pretty vulnerable when, as happened last year, one > student goes silent at midterms and never resurfaces. > > This year, I'd like to make an explicit call for help from > our community in getting the word out. I know we have > several members who're attached to higher education > institutions; that's really the best route here. It's likely that > your school provides several ways of getting this program > in front of students; It'd be wonderful if you could look into > those. I've spoken to a few of you individually, but I'm sure > there are several more I'm not aware of. > > If you'd like help in terms of written text, presentation > outlines, whatever, just let me know. There's a good > collection of such things that folks have done for GSoC in > the past, and I'm happy to point you at relevant ones of > those or help you create more specific things. Just let me > know what you need. A good place to start is the FAQ[0]. > > In the mean time, I'll be going through the wiki and > giving it a good scrubbing, moving the 2011 pages out of > the way and preparing for 2012. I'd encourage anyone > who's got some free time to take a look at that, as well. > And, of course, we'll need projects! Think about what > would make a good summer-sized project for a student. > And if you're at all interested in Plan 9's participation in > GSoC, I'd suggest joining the Google group for the > topic[1], where most of the discussion in the summer > goes on. > > Aside from that one major issue, last year went well. I > was able to get good feedback from a few people during > the application process, mentors signed up without > hassle, reviews of student applications were done well > and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated > so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open. > > Anthony > > [0] > http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs > [1] http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late? Calvin Morrison