On 24 February 2012 11:23, Devon H. O'Dell wrote: > Op 24 februari 2012 11:19 heeft Calvin Morrison > het volgende geschreven: > > > > > > On 24 February 2012 11:13, Anthony Sorace wrote: > >> > >> Folks: > >> The fine folks over at Google's Open Source Programs > >> Office have announced the 2012 edition of Summer of > >> Code. I intend to submit an application for Plan 9 to again > >> participate. I'd like your help in making this year a success. > >> > >> We had one major problem last year. Between Google's > >> decision to focus on bringing in a larger number of smaller > >> organizations and our own group's tendency to be pretty > >> hands-off on marketing, we got an abysmal showing in the > >> student application process. We got very few applications > >> (7, from memory), and only 3 of those (at best) were viable. > >> We were given two slots for student projects. > >> > >> This is bad for a few reasons. Obviously it means we > >> don't get as many people exposed to our code and our > >> community, we don't get as much work done, and we don't > >> have the opportunity to create new contributors, which is > >> the fundamental point of GSoC. It also makes our numbers > >> pretty vulnerable when, as happened last year, one > >> student goes silent at midterms and never resurfaces. > >> > >> This year, I'd like to make an explicit call for help from > >> our community in getting the word out. I know we have > >> several members who're attached to higher education > >> institutions; that's really the best route here. It's likely that > >> your school provides several ways of getting this program > >> in front of students; It'd be wonderful if you could look into > >> those. I've spoken to a few of you individually, but I'm sure > >> there are several more I'm not aware of. > >> > >> If you'd like help in terms of written text, presentation > >> outlines, whatever, just let me know. There's a good > >> collection of such things that folks have done for GSoC in > >> the past, and I'm happy to point you at relevant ones of > >> those or help you create more specific things. Just let me > >> know what you need. A good place to start is the FAQ[0]. > >> > >> In the mean time, I'll be going through the wiki and > >> giving it a good scrubbing, moving the 2011 pages out of > >> the way and preparing for 2012. I'd encourage anyone > >> who's got some free time to take a look at that, as well. > >> And, of course, we'll need projects! Think about what > >> would make a good summer-sized project for a student. > >> And if you're at all interested in Plan 9's participation in > >> GSoC, I'd suggest joining the Google group for the > >> topic[1], where most of the discussion in the summer > >> goes on. > >> > >> Aside from that one major issue, last year went well. I > >> was able to get good feedback from a few people during > >> the application process, mentors signed up without > >> hassle, reviews of student applications were done well > >> and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated > >> so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open. > >> > >> Anthony > >> > >> [0] > >> > http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs > >> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc > > > > > > How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late? > > This year's program has not yet started; application submissions will > begin soon for organizations. After that, it will be a bit before > student applications begin being accepted. So it's definitely not too > late. Just check out the timeline at > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012. Hopefully > we are accepted again this year, and you can apply. > > --dho > > > Calvin Morrison > > After reading the F.A.Q it is apparent that I do not fit the eligibility requirements this year. I am interested in working on a project in the future however. Thank you, Calvin Morriso