+1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM, John Floren wrote: > Voting Thierry for #1 poster of 2012 [so far] > > Looking forward to trying the new release! > > > John > > On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM, wrote: > > Hello, > > > > A supplementary note for Plan9 users before reproducing the announce. > > > > I was testing the new version on Plan9 when the infamous "Disk full" > > error occured [my plan9 installation is still the initial one...]. > > > > So I have tested the compilation. The installation should go without > > problem, but there is a new thing that I have not tested: the new! > > packaging system. > > > > More précisely, to install LaTeX for example there is a "pkg_latex.sh" > > scripts that handles everything. The problem is not here, but in the > > "system dependent" part of pkglib.sh, indeed the http/ftp retriever > > (with a own pkg syntax). I have written it before testing... and have > > not tested. > > > > It would be mere chance if this preliminary version has no blunder (the > > script is short; but that's never prevented me from doing obvious stupid > > mistakes). > > > > So be careful... or courageous. [I will redo entirely the install > > sometimes in the week...]. > > > > Now, the "official" announce: > > > > ============================== > > > > The 0.9999.0.2 version of kerTeX has been released. > > > > This version includes: > > > > - NEW! NTS team' e-TeX (e-TeX passes the 3 steps ETRIP test); for > > the ones unaware, amongst other things, e-TeX offers left-to-right > > and right-to-left... > > > > - NEW! Donald E. Knuth and Silvio Levy' CWEB programs (CWEBINPUTS > > accept the same syntax for path searching as the other kerTeX > > programs: colon separated alternatives); > > > > - NEW! A packaging system! > > > > kerTeX passes the TRAP (METAFONT), TRIP (TeX), TWIST (New name for > > MetaPost torture test) and ETRIP (NTS e-TeX) tests. > > > > WHAT IS KERTEX? > > > > KerTeX aims to be a portable, maintainable, small and robust TeX kernel > > System, providing the basis upon which everything depends: D.E. Knuth's > > digital typography programs. > > > > It has maximum portability: C89 and that's all the binaries program. For > > running, one program---MetaPost---depends on a handful Bourne shell > > script. For the administration of the system, we use only a limited > > subset of essential POSIX.2 tools (that can typically be found on > > Plan9). > > > > KerTex has to be thought as a guest system: it is hosted by an OS. Once > > kerTeX is "ported" to the OS, the ideal would be that TeXpkg are solely > > the problem of kerTeX: one packages for kerTeX, and the host system has > > nothing to worry about. > > > > KerTeX is small (see LISEZ.MOI/README): > > > > - 10 Mb of sources to download. > > > > - The sources are taken read-only by the R.I.S.K framework. So one > > needs, at least... 16 Mb of writable space to compile and package > > (with R.I.S.K SAVE_SPACE=YES option, that removes all intermediary > > products---including the generated Makefiles...---once a target is > > obtained (make SAVE_SPACE=YES; make SAVE_SPACE=yes pkg). > > > > - The initial installation needs 16 Mb of free space. > > > > - After installation, kerTeX uses its own packaging system to > > compile the dumps (for METAFONT, TeX, e-TeX and MetaPost) and to > > generate the fonts and derived TFM. It is so for not running the > > compiler/interpreter as root. > > > > This adds 9 Mb to the base system. So it needs apx. 25 Mb > to > > install. > > > > > > TeX THE AWARD WINNING SOFTWARE! > > > > > > AWARDED! best software of 2012! [so far] > > > > > > READ WHAT OTHER CUSTOMERS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT kerTeX! > > > > > > Mr Euclides [Alexandria]: "Whoa!... If only I had had it before, I > > wouldn't have to copy my books by hand! And furthermore, I wouldn't have > > to answer again, and again and again! the very same question: How were > > your "other" books lost ? That's not my _books_ that were lost: that's > > my time, trying to install another TeX distribution!" > > > > EXTRACTS FROM THE FAQ > > > > Q: We are professionals in the printing business, with professional > > needs. Do you have a kerTeX-pro? > > > > A: no: all our products are professional ones. > > > > Q: We were planning to install a TeX distribution. So we have bought a > > Top10 supercomputer; planned to hire 30 TeX wizards and were in > > negociation to buy some Megawatts when heating is almost over, and > > cooling not already there, in order to have cheaper prices. And now, you > > announce this!!!! What shall I do? > > > > A: Resp.: sell, fire and revoke. With your pocket money, go to the next > > supermarket and buy a middle sized programmable toaster. It should have > > memory enough to cross-compile kerTeX for your wrist-watch. > > > > GET THE FACTS! > > > > The scientific community has shamelessly hiden what is known as David > > Hilbert's 24th problem---because it was deemed too hard. Here we restore > > the facts. David Hilbert has spoken in this way: > > > > "And last, because it is the most urgent; because it is the most > > difficult and shall be done first! I'm going to speak about the > > mathematical typographic problem! > > > > "We hear: TeX-easy ignorabimus: we don't know how to install TeX easily, > > and we will never know. I say: TeX-easy ignoramus: we don't know _yet_! > > > > "But because typography must help the mind; must be by its clarity the > > shortest path to the meaning (when there is one...); because a > > mathematician has to be able to draw new signs if he sees fit; to > > express the link between the notions by choosing the same letter, but at > > the same time showing the differences by rendering them in different > > shapes, a mathematician should never again [pause; lump in his > > throat]... never again [closing his eyes and shivering] be forced to > > use, because there was nothing else left, a gothic font! [loud cries; > > guitars; mathematicians shouting their love and throwing their > > underwears toward the platform]. > > > > "So I say: from the mathematical typographic heaven Donald E. Knuth's > > has offered us! nobody should be allowed to banish us!" > > > > > > CONCLUSION > > > > In this moment when everybody will deliver "best wishes", I must > > recognize that the "best" is not my realm: I'm human. All I know is an > > effort towards a better. But a better _done_. > > > > This effort has a name: kerTeX! > > > > And it's here: > > > > http://www.kergis.com/kertex.html [FRENCH| > > > > http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html [ENGLISH (sort of)] > > > > > > -- > > Thierry Laronde > > http://www.kergis.com/ > > Key fingerprint = 0FF7 E906 FBAF FE95 FD89 250D 52B1 AE95 6006 F40C > > > >