9fans - fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-22  8:01 Dworkin Muller
  2021-01-22  8:20 ` Fazlul Shahriar
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-22  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My initial installation/playing with Plan 9 was, surprisingly enough,
using the basic Plan 9 ISO from 9p.io.  That image (and the resulting
installed system's /sys/src) has a handful of useful interoperability
bits to run on Unix, including u9fs.  Now I've working with 9front,
which is being less frustrating in at least a few respects.  However,
it no longer has those Unix-related bits.  Doing a web search for
"u9fs server" comes up with a lot of different places claiming to have
it, but they don't appear to all have exactly the same thing, and I'm
generally reluctant to use a package from other than its true home or
a mirror listed at said true home.

Thus, the question is, what is considered to be the location of the
source for u9fs?

I have a funny feeling the answer's going to be ``well, it depends on
which variant of u9fs you want''.... :-)

Thanks.

Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M7fd1f9d11443820ecac1e2d5
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-22  8:01 [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs? Dworkin Muller
@ 2021-01-22  8:20 ` Fazlul Shahriar
  2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2021-01-22  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually, I only know of one u9fs that is being maintained:
https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/
I think most of the others you may find on github are (outdated)
mirror of this one.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 3:02 AM Dworkin Muller <dlm-9fans@weaselfish.com> wrote:
> 
> My initial installation/playing with Plan 9 was, surprisingly enough,
> using the basic Plan 9 ISO from 9p.io.  That image (and the resulting
> installed system's /sys/src) has a handful of useful interoperability
> bits to run on Unix, including u9fs.  Now I've working with 9front,
> which is being less frustrating in at least a few respects.  However,
> it no longer has those Unix-related bits.  Doing a web search for
> "u9fs server" comes up with a lot of different places claiming to have
> it, but they don't appear to all have exactly the same thing, and I'm
> generally reluctant to use a package from other than its true home or
> a mirror listed at said true home.
> 
> Thus, the question is, what is considered to be the location of the
> source for u9fs?
> 
> I have a funny feeling the answer's going to be ``well, it depends on
> which variant of u9fs you want''.... :-)
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-Mce5f51c865d65f16cb30bb66
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-22  8:20 ` Fazlul Shahriar
@ 2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
  2021-01-22  9:36     ` Steve Simon
  2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-22  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 03:20:03 -0500, Fazlul Shahriar <fshahriar@gmail.com> wrote:
fshahriar> https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/

That looks much more believable than the others.  Thank you very much
for the pointer.

Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M99012e5d74822d70d49751ea
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
@ 2021-01-22  9:36     ` Steve Simon
  2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-01-22  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe i have missed something but i don’t think u9fs changed much.

i added a fix, years ago, adding frogs for some of the weird stuff osx does to filenames.

in my world it has been completely replaced by sshfs.

-Steve


------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M9553a11c8bc4e511c8715f92
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
  2021-01-22  9:36     ` Steve Simon
@ 2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-24 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 884 bytes --]

I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
looked at it in response to this, so you should do another pull to get that.
Generally, though it has been reasonably stable for some time. Changes are
often just to cope with this year's #ifdefs or feature defines.


On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Dworkin Muller <dlm-9fans@weaselfish.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 03:20:03 -0500, Fazlul Shahriar <fshahriar@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> fshahriar> https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/
> 
> That looks much more believable than the others.  Thank you very much
> for the pointer.
> 
> Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M74684f2bf32f35f0b7c76a2d
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2308 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
@ 2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
  2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1412 bytes --]

it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
can never decide which I dislike more.
Originally, it was on Google Source and bitbucket had hg, so I used that.
Now that they are all gits, perhaps there's no difference.
At one time I thought that Atlassian did say they backed it up,
which Github suggested wasn't needed because of the remote archives, but
that might be outdated.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:30 PM Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
> looked at it in response to this, so you should do another pull to get that.
> Generally, though it has been reasonably stable for some time. Changes are
> often just to cope with this year's #ifdefs or feature defines.
>
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Dworkin Muller <dlm-9fans@weaselfish.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 03:20:03 -0500, Fazlul Shahriar <fshahriar@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> fshahriar> https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/
>> 
>> That looks much more believable than the others.  Thank you very much
>> for the pointer.
>> 
>> Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M0fd0a9e2ffb13d78e01af2c7
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 3142 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
@ 2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
  2021-01-25  0:14           ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-25  6:33           ` ori
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2021-01-25  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Charles Forsyth

Charles Forsyth writes:

> it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
> can never decide which I dislike more.
:-)

The nice thing about having it in hg is that mercurial is part of
9front, so there's no need to muck about getting git installed. 

--lyndon

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-Mfba96c69e2d6c1b21c1a81d4
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
@ 2021-01-25  0:14           ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-25  6:33           ` ori
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-25  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lyndon Nerenberg; +Cc: 9fans

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 682 bytes --]

Yes but bitbucket ditched hg so its now all git


On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:

> Charles Forsyth writes:
>
> > it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I
> also
> > can never decide which I dislike more.
> :-)
>
> The nice thing about having it in hg is that mercurial is part of
> 9front, so there's no need to muck about getting git installed.
>
> --lyndon
>

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-Mf163251a751866fcf764cc32
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1451 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
  2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
@ 2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
  2021-01-25  5:52         ` Dworkin Muller
  2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-01-25  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/25/21, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
> looked at it in response to this, so you should do another pull to get
> that.
> Generally, though it has been reasonably stable for some time. Changes are
> often just to cope with this year's #ifdefs or feature defines.
>
Under NetBSD 9.1, I needed to add -D_NETBSD_SOURCE to get rid of
warnings for undefined initgroups() and ruserok(). The compiler seem
to recommend getgroups() and cuserid() as alternatives. I'm not sure
how best to deal with this for other platforms.

Lucio.

PS: The new executable seems noticeably bigger than whatever I used
previously. Which happens to be the NetBSD "pkg" version
(/usr/pkgsrc/filesysytems/u9fs). Hmm, the differences are quite
significant...

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M5d92402e11109bf407c47b81
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
@ 2021-01-25  5:52         ` Dworkin Muller
  2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-25  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 07:10:18 +0200, Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com> wrote:
lucio.dere> On 1/25/21, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:
lucio.dere> > I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
lucio.dere> > [...]
lucio.dere> Under NetBSD 9.1, I needed to add -D_NETBSD_SOURCE to get rid of
lucio.dere> warnings for undefined initgroups() and ruserok(). The compiler seem
lucio.dere> to recommend getgroups() and cuserid() as alternatives. I'm not sure
lucio.dere> how best to deal with this for other platforms.

Charles, with the version I pulled down on Friday, I had to change the
start of plan9.h to get it to build cleanly on FreeBSD 12.2:

#ifdef __APPLE__
#define _DARWIN_C_SOURCE
#elif !defined(__FreeBSD__)     /* !defined added by Dworkin */
/* magic to get SUSV2 standard, including pread, pwrite*/
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 500
#endif

Defining _XOPEN_SOURCE on FreeBSD 12 suppresses the visibility of a
goodly amount of the BSD-related calls, including ruserok().

Dworkin

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-Md9caea9503919914ff24231f
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
  2021-01-25  0:14           ` Charles Forsyth
@ 2021-01-25  6:33           ` ori
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: ori @ 2021-01-25  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>:
> Charles Forsyth writes:
> 
> > it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
> > can never decide which I dislike more.
> :-)
> 
> The nice thing about having it in hg is that mercurial is part of
> 9front, so there's no need to muck about getting git installed. 
> 
> --lyndon

Don't worry, git's on the way too. there's
interest in migrating 9front, so we'll need
to ship with it.


------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-Mf7cb93d2725b2ec85e9107f4
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
  2021-01-25  5:52         ` Dworkin Muller
@ 2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
  2021-01-27 18:49           ` Lucio De Re
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 13+ messages in thread
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-01-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021, at 5:10 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:
> 
> PS: The new executable seems noticeably bigger than whatever I used
> previously. Which happens to be the NetBSD "pkg" version
> (/usr/pkgsrc/filesysytems/u9fs). Hmm, the differences are quite
> significant...

Just checking: Was the old one `strip`ped and the new one not? That's caught be out before; the symbol table being by far the largest part of some binaries.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M74ae21d6ac07c6d16acab49f
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
  2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
@ 2021-01-27 18:49           ` Lucio De Re
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 13+ messages in thread
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-01-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No the source code differences are pretty vast as well, although right
now I couldn't tell you what the main theme of the changes might be.

Lucio.

On 1/27/21, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021, at 5:10 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:
>>
>> PS: The new executable seems noticeably bigger than whatever I used
>> previously. Which happens to be the NetBSD "pkg" version
>> (/usr/pkgsrc/filesysytems/u9fs). Hmm, the differences are quite
>> significant...
>
> Just checking: Was the old one `strip`ped and the new one not? That's caught
> be out before; the symbol table being by far the largest part of some
> binaries.
>

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tee2220301f2a891c-M696d655d3b3e6536a3980424
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-01-27 18:49 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 13+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-01-22  8:01 [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs? Dworkin Muller
2021-01-22  8:20 ` Fazlul Shahriar
2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
2021-01-22  9:36     ` Steve Simon
2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
2021-01-25  0:14           ` Charles Forsyth
2021-01-25  6:33           ` ori
2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
2021-01-25  5:52         ` Dworkin Muller
2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
2021-01-27 18:49           ` Lucio De Re

9fans - fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/9fans

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V1 9fans 9fans/ http://inbox.vuxu.org/9fans \
		9fans@9fans.net
	public-inbox-index 9fans

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.9fans


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git