On 3/31/20, Sean Hinchee wrote: > [ ... ] > For now, as a stop-gap, I've made a GitHub organization in which I've > consolidated most of what I had indexed from Bitbucket and a few other > places. > > Thanks to people like Ori Bernstein, we have a native git client for > plan9 [3]; without a native client, this kind of transition wouldn't > be nearly as simple, thank you. > Ori's git9 is working better than adequately, although I tend to get tangled up in its interface a lot. Which brings me to submit my "enhancements" to 9front's "cmd/ssh.c"; these allow the Git URLs (a subspecies, if my Git Bible is to go by) to be handled a little more familiarly. Quite correctly, Cinap, no doubt others, pointed out that Plan 9 has a different representation for network addresses, one that seems better designed. The change I applied to ssh.c does nothing to limit use of the Plan 9 addressing style, it merely adds features that *do* belong in the SSH context. The price is minimal: conflicting address components may be supplied and something may break as a result, but the expectation is that such breakage would be under interactive supervision. What I think swings the balance entirely in favour of adding the enhancements is that Git likes to write URLs to the .git/config file and as a result using Plan 9 addresses does make the config file incompatible between Git as she is spoke and Plan 9's alternative. I don't know about anyone else, but I live in a hybrid environment and I fear this will bite me or someone I care about unnecessarily. With the ssh.c enhancements and very minor tweaks to git9/proto.c (so minor I'm having trouble finding them), one at least is able to avoid incompatibilities (well, I'm hoping so). I've attached the two patch sets, I make no claim to being a great coder, the focus was to make the changes (a) as clear as possible, (b) as unintrusive as possible. The copy of 9front "ssh.c" I based my changes on may not be the most recent. There's more to be said about converging the various Plan 9 flavours, I continually find cause to regret the paths that have been chosen; even though I am a faithful follower of the legacy system, I appreciate divergence when it causes Plan 9 on my desktop to interoperate better with the Posix and Posix-like systems I have reason to use. But I think the convergence tool chest lies with Ori's git9 and I would really like to assist making it not just robust, but irresistible. For that, my aim is to make it portable across all 9-flavours, very much including p9p. I see no reason not to migrate to git9 everywhere from the lesser Git ;-) Lucio.