From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Someone made a Wayland compositor based on Rio, Wio
Date: Thu,  9 May 2019 09:39:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Well, when I read Tanenbaum's report from I'm not sure when and all
the regrets when sponsorship opened the doors to contributions, I
assumed that a lesson (not a simple one) was learnt.

I have my own opinions which I prefer to keep to myself, but what is
hard to argue with is that it is all just code. Good code, bad code,
once it works as expected and is not impossible to maintain, one just
needs to throw resources at it (plus management and supervision, those
are resources as well) to make it better.

And that's precisely what I think needs to happen here as well as
anywhere else. My own view of "better" is along the lines of
"smaller", "simpler", but the important thing is to be able to measure
"progress" by some metric that doesn't shift too much.

If Minix-3 fails, in some ways, its lessons will remain. If Linux,
fails, even, the world will move on. Let's just say there shouldn't be
any incentive to push something everyone can learn from to fail...

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 58 653 1433