From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] How to create a different size of Courier font in plan9
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 05:43:54 +0200	[thread overview]

I compiled a version of fontsrv somebody ported to Plan 9, which I run
on my workstation at startup. I imported a number of freefonts and
make a habit of setting the $font variable to /mnt/font/whatever/...,
specially for acme.

It's a step I have yet to regret, despite the inaccuracy with which
plagues both fontsrv and ttf2subf (they truncate descenders). Not
orthodox, not adequate for preparing documents with frequent font
changes in acme, but preferable to creating an endless range of fonts
in different sizes.

Details on request, but nothing particularly complicated. It helps if
one is familiar with P9P.

Lucio.

PS: I found the release of fontsrv on "contrib", yk/lab/fontsrv/. It
contains its own version of freetype and, as far as I recall, it
compiles out of the box. It does require a configuration list of font
archives in /sys/lib/fontsrv.map. Please keep me posted with any
improvement. And, YK, thank you for that gem!

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 58 653 1433