* [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-02-24  5:50 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-02-24  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

They say:

> This is the first Espressif product with RISC-V core, the datasheet is on their web.
>
> This is also the first SOC with RISC-V core we have access to, so we are excited to learn > more the ISA on low level.
>
> Any resources to recommend?

So far I have been shy to recommend Plan 9 to them, a little less shy
to recommend Olimex to 9fans (somewhat long ago, my memory may be
lying to me).

In any case, for the likes of Richard Miller and other wizards, this
is the URL for this specific
posting:

https://olimex.wordpress.com/2021/02/23/hello-risc-v-we-got-samples-of-the-new-esp32-c3-module-and-it-is-only-13x17-mm/

From there, many recent and less recent developments can be
discovered. They have a neat catalogue and apply pretty good QC. For
those in the EU, they operate from Bulgaria. Their English can be
surprising.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-02-24  6:06 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2021-02-24  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 07:50:59AM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> They say:
>
> > This is the first Espressif product with RISC-V core, the datasheet is on their web.
> >
> > This is also the first SOC with RISC-V core we have access to, so we are excited to learn > more the ISA on low level.
> >
> > Any resources to recommend?
>
> So far I have been shy to recommend Plan 9 to them, a little less shy
> to recommend Olimex to 9fans (somewhat long ago, my memory may be
> lying to me).
>
> In any case, for the likes of Richard Miller and other wizards, this
> is the URL for this specific
> posting:
>
> https://olimex.wordpress.com/2021/02/23/hello-risc-v-we-got-samples-of-the-new-esp32-c3-module-and-it-is-only-13x17-mm/
>
> >From there, many recent and less recent developments can be
> discovered. They have a neat catalogue and apply pretty good QC. For
> those in the EU, they operate from Bulgaria. Their English can be
> surprising.

FWIW, I bought Olimex-lime2 (ARM) (severals) and I'm more satisfied with these than with
Raspberries (I installed NetBSD on this, plan9 was not tried).

So if the RISC-V is on the same level of quality, it should be certainly
worth.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-02-24  6:25   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-02-24  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/24/21, tlaronde@polynum.com <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I bought Olimex-lime2 (ARM) (severals) and I'm more satisfied with
> these than with
> Raspberries (I installed NetBSD on this, plan9 was not tried).
>
> So if the RISC-V is on the same level of quality, it should be certainly
> worth.

Exactly my point, thank you for corroborating. I've been eyeing their
DIY laptop, but for that price (and custom complications) I may prefer
to invest in the 3D printer they list as in stock at quite an old
price (I don't expect miracles, but it's worth a try).

I think these guys operate in a rarefied atmosphere of custom design
and they have a working formula. I wish I could contribute in a
significant way to their success. I have a long wish list revolving
around their products and philosophy, just not the funds.

@ 2021-02-24  9:49 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-02-24  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So far I have been shy to recommend Plan 9 to them

You could recommend the Plan 9 RISC-V assembler, C compiler and linker
as a stand-alone toolset without the need to run Plan 9 - because they
are also available as part of inferno, which they could run hosted on
their favourite OS.

As for disassembling, inferno includes acid ...

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-02-24 10:07   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-02-24 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/24/21, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> So far I have been shy to recommend Plan 9 to them
>
> You could recommend the Plan 9 RISC-V assembler, C compiler and linker
> as a stand-alone toolset without the need to run Plan 9 - because they
> are also available as part of inferno, which they could run hosted on
> their favourite OS.
>
> As for disassembling, inferno includes acid ...

Thank you, that is an excellent idea, I am sure they are totally
unaware of inferno.

Now to find a way to educate them on Plan 9 and Inferno, from the
opposite direction. But I think I can find a way.

@ 2021-02-24 10:09   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-02-24 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You could recommend the Plan 9 RISC-V assembler, C compiler and linker

Looking at their posting again, what they want is a resident monitor
running on the RISC-V SoC itself that can do assembly/disassembly.
So an offline toolchain will not do the job for them.

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-02-24 10:16     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-02-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have no doubt that they will find what they seek, or cope with
something near enough.

Let me ponder this, see what further suggestions may come from our
not-quite-OSS community.

Lucio.

@ 2021-02-28 19:53       ` rt9f.3141
From: rt9f.3141 @ 2021-02-28 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The Olimex ESP32­-C3 module has a risc-v core, sure, but it's roughly equivalent to an ARM Cortex-M3.  The HW platforms targeted by Plan 9 and its tools are much more heavy weight.  I don't believe Plan 9 would be a good starting point for any ESP32-C3 development.  If the Olimex guys are looking for a monitor, then umon might be a good place to start.

     Ref: http://www.umonfw.com

The code is modular, clean, already supports about a dozen architectures, and should port to the ESP32-C3 without too much work.  And it shouldn't be difficult to add risc-v support to its built-in 'dis' disassembler.

Just my $0.02 ;)

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-03-01  2:50         ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2021-03-01  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had a thought a while back: could one pilfer plan 9's libc and
kernel guts to build an embedded c library à la newlib? The idea is a
native hosted plan 9 microcontroller lab similar to arduino and your
microcontroller program would look like a bare metal plan 9 program.

A monitor or rtos would be more complex but channels and 9p on my
microcontroller would be neat. I'd even go as far to say you could
probably base it mostly on how thread(2) operates.

Be neat to have little wireless file servers all around your home (or
whatever) controlling or monitoring things.

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-03-01  3:34           ` pouya+lists.9fans
From: pouya+lists.9fans @ 2021-03-01  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[tswoskowiak@gmail.com]
> I had a thought a while back: could one pilfer plan 9's libc and
> kernel guts to build an embedded c library à la newlib? The idea is a
> native hosted plan 9 microcontroller lab similar to arduino and your
> microcontroller program would look like a bare metal plan 9 program.

Isn't that what 'unikernels' are about?

As a side note to this thread I have a slow-running (crawling would be
more like it actually) side project to build a RISC-V SoC on an
Atrix-7 FPGA board, and I had imagined I might one day run Plan 9 on
it, although I might actually start with xv6 (if I ever get there).

* Re: [9fans] Olimex: these guys are keen electronic engineers.
@ 2021-03-01 10:05           ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-03-01 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FWIW I wrote an embedded system on a small SOC arm (Atmel sam4e) a couple of
years ago (this is a 128Kbyte/100Mhz class machine). I ported Russ's libtask
to it. I extended it a bit with a command line interface for debug and
added timeouts but I ended up with a delightful development environment,
and a successful project.

-Steve