* [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-22  8:01 Dworkin Muller
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-22  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My initial installation/playing with Plan 9 was, surprisingly enough,
using the basic Plan 9 ISO from 9p.io.  That image (and the resulting
installed system's /sys/src) has a handful of useful interoperability
bits to run on Unix, including u9fs.  Now I've working with 9front,
which is being less frustrating in at least a few respects.  However,
it no longer has those Unix-related bits.  Doing a web search for
"u9fs server" comes up with a lot of different places claiming to have
it, but they don't appear to all have exactly the same thing, and I'm
generally reluctant to use a package from other than its true home or
a mirror listed at said true home.

Thus, the question is, what is considered to be the location of the
source for u9fs?

I have a funny feeling the answer's going to be ``well, it depends on
which variant of u9fs you want''.... :-)

Thanks.

Dworkin

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-22  8:20 ` Fazlul Shahriar
From: Fazlul Shahriar @ 2021-01-22  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually, I only know of one u9fs that is being maintained:
https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/
I think most of the others you may find on github are (outdated)
mirror of this one.

@ 2021-01-22  9:15   ` Dworkin Muller
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-22  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 03:20:03 -0500, Fazlul Shahriar <fshahriar@gmail.com> wrote:
fshahriar> https://bitbucket.org/plan9-from-bell-labs/u9fs/src/master/

That looks much more believable than the others.  Thank you very much
for the pointer.

@ 2021-01-22  9:36     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-01-22  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe i have missed something but i don’t think u9fs changed much.

i added a fix, years ago, adding frogs for some of the weird stuff osx does to filenames.

in my world it has been completely replaced by sshfs.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-24 23:30     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-24 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
looked at it in response to this, so you should do another pull to get that.
Generally, though it has been reasonably stable for some time. Changes are
often just to cope with this year's #ifdefs or feature defines.

@ 2021-01-24 23:34       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-24 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
can never decide which I dislike more.
Originally, it was on Google Source and bitbucket had hg, so I used that.
Now that they are all gits, perhaps there's no difference.
At one time I thought that Atlassian did say they backed it up,
which Github suggested wasn't needed because of the remote archives, but
that might be outdated.

@ 2021-01-25  0:10         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2021-01-25  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Charles Forsyth

Charles Forsyth writes:

> it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
> can never decide which I dislike more.
:-)

The nice thing about having it in hg is that mercurial is part of
9front, so there's no need to muck about getting git installed.

--lyndon

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-25  0:14           ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-01-25  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lyndon Nerenberg; +Cc: 9fans

Yes but bitbucket ditched hg so its now all git

@ 2021-01-25  5:10       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-01-25  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/25/21, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
> looked at it in response to this, so you should do another pull to get
> that.
> Generally, though it has been reasonably stable for some time. Changes are
> often just to cope with this year's #ifdefs or feature defines.

Under NetBSD 9.1, I needed to add -D_NETBSD_SOURCE to get rid of
warnings for undefined initgroups() and ruserok(). The compiler seem
to recommend getgroups() and cuserid() as alternatives. I'm not sure
how best to deal with this for other platforms.

Lucio.

PS: The new executable seems noticeably bigger than whatever I used
previously. Which happens to be the NetBSD "pkg" version
(/usr/pkgsrc/filesysytems/u9fs). Hmm, the differences are quite
significant...

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-25  5:52         ` Dworkin Muller
From: Dworkin Muller @ 2021-01-25  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 07:10:18 +0200, Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com> wrote:
lucio.dere> On 1/25/21, Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com> wrote:
lucio.dere> > I've just accepted an important pull request to it that I missed, until I
lucio.dere> > [...]
lucio.dere> Under NetBSD 9.1, I needed to add -D_NETBSD_SOURCE to get rid of
lucio.dere> warnings for undefined initgroups() and ruserok(). The compiler seem
lucio.dere> to recommend getgroups() and cuserid() as alternatives. I'm not sure
lucio.dere> how best to deal with this for other platforms.

Charles, with the version I pulled down on Friday, I had to change the
start of plan9.h to get it to build cleanly on FreeBSD 12.2:

#ifdef __APPLE__
#define _DARWIN_C_SOURCE
#elif !defined(__FreeBSD__)     /* !defined added by Dworkin */
/* magic to get SUSV2 standard, including pread, pwrite*/
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 500
#endif

Defining _XOPEN_SOURCE on FreeBSD 12 suppresses the visibility of a
goodly amount of the BSD-related calls, including ruserok().

@ 2021-01-25  6:33           ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-01-25  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>:
> Charles Forsyth writes:
>
> > it's also on bitbucket not github mainly for historical reasons but I also
> > can never decide which I dislike more.
> :-)
>
> The nice thing about having it in hg is that mercurial is part of
> 9front, so there's no need to muck about getting git installed.
>
> --lyndon

Don't worry, git's on the way too. there's
interest in migrating 9front, so we'll need
to ship with it.

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-27 16:23         ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-01-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021, at 5:10 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:

> PS: The new executable seems noticeably bigger than whatever I used
> previously. Which happens to be the NetBSD "pkg" version
> (/usr/pkgsrc/filesysytems/u9fs). Hmm, the differences are quite
> significant...

Just checking: Was the old one `strip`ped and the new one not? That's caught be out before; the symbol table being by far the largest part of some binaries.

* Re: [9fans] authoritative source for u9fs?
@ 2021-01-27 18:49           ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-01-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No the source code differences are pretty vast as well, although right
now I couldn't tell you what the main theme of the changes might be.

Lucio.