From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Hello, RPi fixes and bind -b trouble
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:03:05 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2/22/24, Alyssa M via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

You're not: there is a very large grey area between English language
exceptionalism and internationalisation madness.

As a citizen in a country where eleven languages are declared
equivalently "official" with sign language on the way to be added to
the list, I can offer some opinions. First, I see small groups of
tourists in the backpackers I co-manage being quite comfortable using
English across the various European languages that are their mother
tongues and secondly, the local vernaculars (nine African languages
and Afrikaans which derives from Dutch) are absorbing more and more
English, quite noticeably so, but the local variety of English is also
being distorted to accommodate the local phonetics (that, of course
happens across the Anglophone world and even in countries where
English is an acquired taste),

Catering for internationalisation is a losing game, adjusting for it
is a short term waste of effort, with no clear vision of what rules
could possibly improve the situation. I guess being English speaking
is an asset and that may well become the foundation. Occasionally
Esperanto is mentioned, but my experience suggests that is as hopeless
as the adoption of Swahili in Africa.

PS: thanks for documenting your efforts, they will save others a lot
of brain-ache.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St