* [9fans] p9p: Virtual terminal fileserver
@ 2014-10-12 16:56 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult @ 2014-10-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi folks,

did anyone already write virtual terminal fileserver, which allows
starting a normal unix process on a virtual terminal (on Linux
the /dev/pts/*) and provides access to it via 9P ?

Then we could have a client/terminal connecting to it, so we have
screen(1)-alike functionality.

greetings
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting

* Re: [9fans] p9p: Virtual terminal fileserver
@ 2014-10-12 17:47 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-10-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm a little confused by this. could you describe how this will work from a
user's perspective? do you mean that a user on p9p starts 9term, but the
/dev/cons is really a /dev/pts/* etc.?

@ 2014-10-13 13:35   ` Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult @ 2014-10-13 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12.10.2014 19:47, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

Hi,

> i'm a little confused by this. could you describe how this will work
> from a user's perspective? do you mean that a user on p9p starts 9term,
> but the /dev/cons is really a /dev/pts/* etc.?

I'd like to run it on a Linux system (eg. via p9p).

It should start an given command (eg. a shell or some other application)
on a virtual terminal and provide access to it via 9P (maybe even use
separate VTs for stdio vs. stderr).

As a counterpart I'd like to have some tool which can attach to these
servers (perhaps even multiple clients to the same session), so I have
a similar feature as a detached screen(1) session.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
--

@ 2014-10-13 14:46     ` User &
From: User & @ 2014-10-13 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)