good to hear. all of the major brands had holograms in 1998. so the answer is? brucee On 10 December 2013 13:42, erik quanstrom wrote: > On Mon Dec 9 21:23:18 EST 2013, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote: > > > Well there is some truth in all these emails. First let me say that no > > recording studio records in mp3 and no studio software does unless you > > really force it. Not even Garage Band - the baseline. (Note that I will > > usually make a mp3 for my phone after a mix.) > > > > That said the dudes compiling and selling CDs will grab the data in any > > format and decode it and sell it. Just 'cause you bought a CD doesn't > mean > > it was really uncompressed DDD. Certainly a worse story if you don't know > > if it's pirated. How many CDs do you have with a hologram on them, Erik? > > almost all my cds were bought first hand before 1998. all > came with proper packaging, and silkscreening on the front side. > > even so, as you point out, the quality does vary. i find some remastered > AAD or ADD disks to be of good quality. listening to muddy waters, > "folk singer" as i type. > > > That said 9 out of 10 British housewives etc. > > > > It is not too hard to tell and clearly Simon has the tools. I do. Just > > checked out a suspect disk. Hmm profile is strongly correlated with > 96kps. > > very interesting. time to do a little investigation. > > - erik > >