On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Rui Carmo wrote: > I honestly don’t think Plan9 or Inferno will become “general use” without > (at the very least) a modern browser, but that was not what motivated me to > post here. > > Inferno, dis and 9p seem like a good fit for embedded devices, and having > run it successfully on a Raspberry Pi a few months ago ( > https://bitbucket.org/infpi/inferno-rpi), I was wondering if the kernel > and network stack would be shrunk down to something like an ESP8266 > (although don’t think that has enough heap space). > I started porting a 9p library and writing an fs for esp8266 using espressif sdk, but stopped once I found out tls1.2 isn't supported (not fixable; bug in firmware). I think esp32 is a better choice, but then, why not use rpi-zero or other ARM, MIPS devices. Arguments for esp32 for power budget reasons might be exaggerated a little (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpuBJYFJ7Y&t=131s ) there is also proprietary firmware involved. In my opinion, esp8266 should be categorized as an "attractive nuisance". > A while back there was the Aijuboard (https://www.indiegogo.com/ > projects/aijuboard#/), but nothing else seems to have popped up since > 2015, and any industrial applications of Inferno that might be interesting > are likely squirreled away in commercial companies... > > So I’d like to know if anyone here knows about recent efforts to run > Inferno on other tiny machines... > > Happy New Year, > > >