The PoE hat shouldn't need any software support. I don't have one, but it's basically a DC-DC converter. The Pi PoE hat has an Attiny processor for temperature sensing/fan operation. You can also use a PoE splitter (48V->5V/2.4A micro USB) which would work for all Pi's. -Skip On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:16 PM wrote: > I have four Raspberry Pi model 4B boards and a Raspberry Pi model 3B+ > board and would like to know whether or not Power over Ethernet (PoE) is > supported by the Pi9 port. > > Has anyone attempted to power a Plan9 cluster/grid over PoE? What PoE > network switches would you recommend? Were there any issues? Richard > Miller? > > To be clear, a PoE network enables boards to be powered over an Ethernet > network if a side-board (HAT) is connected. [1] A PoE network switch > conforming to IEEE 802.3af delivers power through the each Pi's RJ45 > network connector over Cat 5 cabling. [2] > > To my knowledge, neither the 9front kernel sources nor the documented > list of supported hardware, specifically mentions PoE. [3] It seems the > network switch and HAT negotiate power delivery independently of the > kernel so I cannot think of a reason why Plan9 would not support > powering this way. > > References > [1]: > https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-power-over-ethernet-poe-hat/ > [2]: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1213877 > [3]: https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/index.html > > -- > Barry Wasdell (bwasd) > *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > >