interesting; i especially liked the "Why Myrddin" section :) i didn't see the obligatory 9P implementation in it; is there one? On Sun Jan 04 2015 at 1:07:47 AM Ori Bernstein wrote: > Myrddin is a language that I put together for fun, but which has developed > delusions of usefulness. It's a complete reinvention of the wheel, from the > ground up. Some of the major things you'll notice about it: > > - Type inference. Types are inferred across the whole program. > - Algebraic data types. > - And their friend, pattern matching. > - Generics. > - A package system. > - Low level control over memory and such. > - (Almost) no runtime library. > - Self contained. > > For more details, you can look at the language website: > > http://eigenstate.org/myrddin > > Myrddin has been ported to Plan 9/amd64, tested on 9front. I haven't been > able > to get 9atom's amd64 kernel to boot on virtual hardware yet, so it hasn't > been > tested there. > > The compiler and libstd should build out of the box using the provided > mkfiles. The libs used for mbld currently need either mbld or gnu make in > order to build, or you can run myrbuild by hand. I've provided a script > that > does the latter. > > Almost all Plan 9 system calls are directly supported in libsys. > As with Linux/Unix, only amd64 targets are supported at the moment. > > To bootstrap the code on Plan 9, the following script is provided: > > http://eigenstate.org/myrddin/getmyr.rc > > You can grab the script and run it as follows: > > ; hget http://eigenstate.org/myrddin/getmyr.rc > getmyr.rc > ; chmod +x getmyr.rc > ; getmyr.rc > ...a lot of cloning and building happens... > ; sam helloworld.myr > > For ease of hacking on Plan 9, I've added mercurial mirrors of the > compiler and some libraries to bitbucket: > > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/mc > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/libbio > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/libregex > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/libcryptohash > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/libdate > http://bitbucket.com/oridb/mbld > > There are a number of TODOs, of course: > > - Libdate needs to learn how to parse Plan 9 timezone files. > - Libstd needs to get a smarter allocator for large allocations. > - More libraries: lib9p, libdraw, etc... all need to be written. > - A bit more thought needs to be given nicer, portable APIs. > - More Plan 9 integration. > > And general work to get Myrddin to the point of day to day usability, > int terms of faster binaries, more libraries, and so on. > > Still, if anyone finds this interesting/useful -- have at it. If you > manage to do something neat, let me know! > > -- > Ori Bernstein > >