Thank you. This is fantastic. I've been looking into running Plan 9 in JSLinux ( https://bellard.org/jslinux/ and https://bellard.org/jslinux/tech.html) and came across riscvemu (https://bellard.org/riscvemu/). I wonder if it might be a useful for trying things on. On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote: > > It could be, but after having looked briefly at the size of the design > for > > RISC-V Rocket and especially BOOM I wonder if it's all overly > complicated. > > They even built their own high level hardware language (Chisel) that > > generates Verilog using Scala. Yuck. > > It's possible to build a simple and perfectly usable RISC-V processor > on an FPGA in verilog. The one I use is > https://github.com/cliffordwolf/picorv32 , written by Clifford Wolf. > Its small size means it can be (and has been) formally verified, and > (for some applications at least) you can compensate for the modest > performance by putting lots of them on one chip. > > > Also, there's appears to be quite alot of compiler optimizations in gcc > for > > RISC-based chips. > > Again, it's possible to build a simple and perfectly usable C compiler > for RISC-V without going overboard with optimisation. I've been > working on re-targeting the Plan 9 C toolchain for RISC-V. It's at > the stage where it can successfully compile itself, but floating point > support is not yet complete. If anyone is interested, let me know. > >