I've submitted a patch for this to Bell Labs repo: /n/sources/patch/tcp-halfduplex-close Please review it; the change is fairly small. It would be great if others could try it out. I've done light testing with rc. I've also verified it passes Go's net/http/serve_test.go (see https://github.com/golang/go/issues/17906). All testing has been done with RPI's (1's and 3's). I plan to do more testing with x86 box. Please try it if you can. Thanks everyone for your help, -Skip On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM Charles Forsyth wrote: > On 5 February 2017 at 18:13, Bakul Shah wrote: > > If they implement close correctly, they should be able to implement > close-read correctly, it being a pure subset. In theory :-) > > > but they didn't, so it's useless. > > > As for SYN+data+FIN you had to have both sides properly implement rfc1644 > or the T/TCP extension. > > > the original tcp/ip spec allowed for it, if implemented carefully (partly > because of its heritage), but again, mismatch of implementations rendered > it useless. > > > This extension was deprecated at least by 2004 due to "the ease of DoS > attacks that can result". > > > yes, that's exactly what meant there was no longer any point in trying. > > >